Hello from Austin, Texas

sandman

Just wanted to introduce myself... My girfriend and I are going to pick up our first sailboat tomorrow morning: a late 90's Catalina 14.2.
We have been reading, watching and studying to get ready. I learned the basics of sailing on a Catalina 25 here in lake Travis and crewed on the Clipper City in Key West for a Summer. Now that I have been reading all these books, I can't believe how much I didn't learn! My girlfriend, Louise, is starting from scratch.
The 14.2 seems like it will be the perfect boat to learn in and continue to enjoy as a couple oriented activity......okay, some of you feel free to gag at that one. As I get older, more and more things like that just seem to pop out:D....my back included:eek:

Anyways, glad to be here!

Welcome aboard "sandman"! you may already be way ahead of 1st timers like myself. Congratulations on your choice of activity and boat.

I love my 92 capri14.2 (only 3wks) and this "forum" is like having a personal skipper.

My wife shares my enthusiasm 100%, it really is an activity we are able to enjoy together compared to motorcycles and ultralight flying.

We look forward to reading about your sailing adventures and sharing the comradeship of this forum.
George -hull#4042

I own a Catalina 22 and a Capri 14.2, the layout is pretty similar. I found that I hardly use my Catalina 22 now, except for really cold and really hot days out on the lake. My 22 doesn't get a lot of use anymore.

I found the speed is fairly similar on both boats, until I get the Capri on a plane. I have reached 8.1mph on the 22 sailing wing-on-wing surfing whitecaps, and 9.8mph on my Capri in a broad reach surfing motor boat waves.

I would suggest practicing capsizing the Capri and recovering. I ran some webbing through a drain hole as my rope ladder for getting back into the boat. That was time well spent for me after I bought my Capri.

Get out of the water and enjoy, I have had tons of fun sailing my Capri on the lakes in Georgia, as well as the panhandle of Florida in the intercoastal and in the Gulf of Mexico.

-Robert
1989 Capri 14.2 Mod2
1984 Catalina 22

We got the boat this morning...yeah! We will be practicing rigging it and doing some small repairs and cleaning.

You betcha we will be practicing capsizing technique. The boat is equipped with a really cool telescoping ladder hard mounted on the stern opposite the motor mount. It is small, but suprisingly sturdy.

Thanks guys.

So damn envious of those with spouses who love to sail, yikes, sea sick afraid of the water on and on and on.... but I digress, BIENVENIDOS AL FORO AMIGO!

So damn envious of those with spouses who love to sail, yikes, sea sick afraid of the water on and on and on.... but I digress, BIENVENIDOS AL FORO AMIGO!

Fortunately for me that was the reason I had the opportunity to buy my boat from the original owner. Poor guy only got to use it about 4 or 5 times and his wife gave up. I have a feeling he yelled at her too many times while sailing.

Fortunately for me that was the reason I had the opportunity to buy my boat from the original owner. Poor guy only got to use it about 4 or 5 times and his wife gave up. I have a feeling he yelled at her too many times while sailing.

Sucks for them, definitely a distressed sell I guess. As for my situation, I am training other crewmen.

Back