Hello Everyone!

unlearn

Turtle King
I haven't sailed a sunfish since summer camp back in the 90's and while driving home from work on Saturday I passed one for sale on some dude's front lawn. I am seriously considering buying this thing and would appreciate any advice on things to look out for.

1. The hull...is most likely early to mid 70's. It doesn't have the foot strap in the "hole", but it does have a small storage area toward the aft. It has an aluminum strip around the entire edge. I have heard that this is problem area. Is this true? What should I pay attention to when inspecting this area?

There is a small amount of surface damage to the nose of the hull where it meets the trailer, most likely from transport. The owner says it has been like that since 1984 when he bought it and he has never had a problem. Should this consern me?

Also, how can I be sure the centerboard area is water tight? (other than actually sailing this thing). :rolleyes:

The Sails are in good shape (there is one spot where duct tape is present). I imagine I will replace those at some point anyway.

The Center board has 3 good quarter-sized gashes from hitting rocks and such, can I sand down the damage and varnish or will I be taking too much material off of this critical component?

The rutter is in fine shape looks like a true Sunfish part), and the lines are in useable condition.

Finally, it has a '74 Sears trailer with lights that is presently registered.

He is asking $350, what do ya'll think?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Thanks for the overwhelming flood of responses! :rolleyes:

But to tell the truth, for $350 you are absolutely right. So I called the guy and told him I was gonna pick it up tomorrow. Good thing too, because since I left the deposit, he had two other offers for more than we agreed, but he still held onto it for me!

So now I have two problems... 1) I have to smooth this over with the wife, 2) I have to find time to fluff up this puppy! Both are monumental tasks.

I guess in the worst case scenario, I can sell it as is for AT LEAST what I paid for it.

Pics coming soon...:D

To smooth it over with your wife, just tell her its part of your mid-life crisis. That's what I did. I also pointed out that the guy down the street bought a motor-cycle for his mid-life, which was more dangerous. It's also cheaper than a sports car.

:)

Harley? Check.
Big truck? Check.
Yard full of sailboats? Check.

Yup, I'm deep into my midlife crisis and still coming along fairly cheap.

I'm saving the mid-life crisis for a possible REALLY stupid purchase :D

Besides, i'm 32 and she's older than me so that would never fly...

I took her out for a nice steak last night to break the news but we were having such a good time I didn't want to ruin it...

I'm thinking i'll drop it off at a buddy's house and really think about this one. At least with mountain bikes and scuba gear I can just hide it in the basement... anyone have hints as to hide a 14' boat and trailer?:p

I'm only 35, and I am only about 3 months older than her :)

Also, you reminded me:

Tons of SCUBA gear? Check.

I think that covers all the bases now. :)

hide-schmide;

there's nothing more than a headcock and a puzzled look you can get on a wife's countenance when you impulse buy an old sunfish.

if you were married longer she'd be pleased to miss you in the garage fixing it up and then spending all saturday on the lake/bay (or whatever your body of water is.)

i've got two 70's era fish - always have enough parts to sail one!

drive it home, park it in the driveway and then let her ask what it is.

"pfft-what's that? best selling boat ever, a classic - what of it?"

my advice - fess up to the initial purchase and hide the bazzilllions you have to spend to make it just so.

Well, you know, I must confess. I bought a Sunfish a few months back, and it went a little something like this.

Me: "Honey, there is a cheap Sunfish on craigslist that is probably a pile of junk, but I think I can use some of the parts from it on the Minifish. I'm going to offer them $150. I'll throw the rest away."

Wife: *Deep sigh* "Ok"

After I go to pick up the boat, I discover it is in fine condition. I bring it home.

Wife: "That looks like it is in good condition."

Me: "Yup. Now I just need to buy a few parts, and I have another functional boat."

Wife: *Deep sigh*

Me: "They also offered me the trailer for $50. That's a super deal."

Wife: "You know, I thought you said that you were just buying some parts."

Now, I have a Sunfish AND a Minifish. :)

So I'm sitting in my office doing some paper work and she come rolling and sits on my lap and tells me about her day.

All of a sudden she stops mid-sentence and says to me "you bought a boat?"

I'm like "what the hell?"

She's like "there is a bill of sale on your desk genius."

So long story short, she was mad for about 5 seconds (more because there was a sailboat in the garage for over a week and she didn't find it) then I quick searched some CL ads and showed her the prices of what other people are getting. All in all she is mildly pleased with my purchase and "interested" to see it sail.

I know all that will change once she gets on the boat and catches her first wind!

My wife knows I've been watching the ads for a boat for several months. I'm looking for something in the mid 30 foot range. So...a couple months ago while checking the listings, I saw an ad on craigslist for a Sunfish for $25. I called and sure enough...boat trailer and all the pieces in tact. I couldn't resist. Later that day after picking up the boat I told her "I bought us a boat and I'm bringing it home" She's like...No Way! The look on her face was priceless. I can just imagine she's thinking how is he getting a big sailboat into the driveway...anyway...$1,000 later I have a fully restored 81 fish on a freshly painted trailer with new lights, wires, tires, wheels and coupler.

Back