Hello and a couple of questions

Bungo Pete

Hello Everyone:

This is my first post and am happy to be aboard. What brought me here is the fact that a friend of mine has a couple of 80's vintage lasers and I am helping him get them back up to snuff. It is our hope to at least sail them this summer and perhaps do some pick up racing here in Casco Bay.

The rigging is in pretty good shape and this site appears to be a great place to look for used sails. We are however, looking for some plans/advice for fabricating wooden cradles. I wasn't sure where to post this question, but any feedback from any quarter will be appreciated.

The second question concerns a product called "The Performance Outhaul System" be Dorsal Gear. We want to make the boat easier and faster to rig and this appears to have that potential. Again, and feedback will be appreciated.

I just re-rigged an older Laser with the new rigging. You can read about it HERE and more about the specifics HERE and HERE.

There are used sails on Ebay from time to time.

The best way to store the boat in a cradle is deck side down, so cradles made of well padded 2x4s will work fine. It is not recommended to store the boat hull side down in cradles.
You can also store the boat on a trailer/dolly with gunwale supports.

sailchris said:
I just re-rigged an older Laser with the new rigging. You can read about it HERE and more about the specifics HERE and HERE.

There are used sails on Ebay from time to time.

The best way to store the boat in a cradle is deck side down, so cradles made of well padded 2x4s will work fine. It is not recommended to store the boat hull side down in cradles.
You can also store the boat on a trailer/dolly with gunwale supports.

That just reminded me to get my old dog off its trolley and support it by the gunnels.
the downside to upside down storage is that it tends to let water into the deck foam & make it disbond & spongy
anyone got any favourite ways of stiffening the deck up ?

Back