Heavy Air Mainsheet

nielsen

Hartford, CT
I currently have, what I consider, a light-to-medium air 28ft - 5/16in diameter Roaster Ropes Politite mainsheet. It is a wonderful line in light air, however, when the breeze picks up I cannot seem to hold on to it well.

I have tried using the very colorful Vanguard stock recreational mainsheet that comes with a new boat but it seems to burn and tangle. Currently I am using the H019 Harken mainsheet block.

I am going to buy another sheet. What line is recommended for a heavy air sheet? I am looking for brand, diameter, length, and any other recommendations. Thanks.

I use a 7mm Rooster Rope for light to medium winds and I just purchased 31' of 9mm Maffioli Swiftcord for my heavy air mainsheet. I have used it once in about 25 to 30 mph winds and it was great. Still a little bit slippery becuase it is new but a good soft rope that doesnt hurt the hand and doesnt absorb water. The Rooster Rope is also slippery when new but after about a half dozen use gets much better. Apparently they use a detergent in the manufacturing process. Good luck.

Have you considered sailing gloves or do you already use them?
It seems a lot of trouble to use sheets according to wind conditions.

Fred

Rooster also makes a 9mm line. It appears to be cheaper than the Swiftcord by 20 to 40 cents a foot. Also the Rooster should go through the wash at least once in a mesh bag or the like. It saves the slippery 6 first sails. Swiftcord is also a great product it just seems to be getting more press at the present.

I always ran a 6 mm or 1/4" mainsheet till the air hit 15 knots. After that even with gloves it acted like a garrot around my hand. I wish I could remember the nice 3/8" fuzzy covered line I used as a heavy air mainsheet.
NOTE: so of the boom blocks over the years run small and 3/8" line can bind up in them. 8 or even 9mm usually works, just not as "hand friendly"

Back