Heavy 200lb+ Sunfish - What Location for 2 Deck Ports?

jlpapple

Hello,

I'm doing winter rehab work on a '73 Sunfish that currently weights 215lbs. I've familiarized myself with the deck port installation and drying techniques discussed in this forum, but I'm wondering where I should install the one of the two ports? Also, I believe I have 2 loose foam blocks directly to the side and in front of the coaming.

I am positive I'm going to install on 6" port behind the coaming, in front of the daggerboard tube.

I'm less sure where to install the other 5" port. I don't see a current need for a rudder deck port because I have a modern rudder assembly, tight deck/traveler screws, and no loose foam blocks in that area. However, the consensus on this forum seems to be that a rear-cut port is better for overall drying.

I thought of putting the other 5" port forward of the mast tube to help facilitate my foam block reattachment. My bow handle is currently very tight and I don't believe it needs service.

In addition to the 6" coaming deck port, would a 5" port in front of the mast tube be enough to assist with total ventilation and drying? Or should I install a 5" rear deck port near the rudder for better ventilation/drying?

Should I consider install 3 deck ports total? I know I have a lot of water vapor to remove from these blocks.

I am living in Arizona with low humidity so I hope that will help my drying cause this winter.

Thanks.

Back