Head First

Eyeper

- I found a laugh
feet only.jpg
in some old slide film captures.

Some days when it's barely a breeze on Tomales Bay I tie the tiller amindships and let the main all the way out. Pointed downwind, you can crawl up to the bow and sit, steering by leaning the boat. In this case I had my camera on the mast and it was triggered by pulling a line. As this capsize occurred I guess I pulled the shutter line.

If you see this boat on Tomales Bay, come over and say hello. I'm planning on getting over to Lawson's Landing pretty soon. Norcalsail...

That's your Sunfish? I'll be watching for it. I usually sail further south on Tomales Bay, but I'd like to try launching at Lawson's, too!

I just got this Sunfish last July from WestCoast Sailing. I learned to sail as a kid from my Dad on our old Sunfish back in Wisconsin. He picked up a Laser-like boat 10 or 15 years ago and I was searching the Laser Forum to try to find photos and see exactly what that boat is which is how I ran into this thread. I live in Santa Rosa and have been thinking about camping at Lawson's a couple of nights and sailing during the day. I'll keep and eye out....!

Have you launched at Lawson's before? I've SUPed there a few times, and it looks like timing would be important. At low tide there are a lot of shoals and when it's running in or out there is a current like a river. Still, I want to do it!

Have you launched at Lawson's before? I've SUPed there a few times, and it looks like timing would be important. At low tide there are a lot of shoals and when it's running in or out there is a current like a river. Still, I want to do it!

Haven't launched there, but the info you just provided makes me wary. I had been thinking of going there to camp tomorrow but the forecast calls for marine layer and drizzle-I'll wait. My other plan was to haul the Sunfish up to Lake Spaulding where the 80 meets the 20, near Emmigrant Gap, but the high temp is only going to be 60 degrees. Now, I'm thinking of heading up to Lake Mendocino where it should be a bit warmer. I had checked tides at Tomales a week or so ago, and low tide was around 10 am so I could see it before launching. Maybe a place away from the mouth would be better. Originally, I had planned to stay away from salt water but saw a bunch of you guys out there...!

I think you'd enjoy Tomales Bay a lot. We launch way south of the mouth, where tides aren't even a factor. Pass me your email, and I'll hook you into my informal list - we sail Lasers, Force 5, Sunfish and a Hobie. And Santa Rosa (where I live also) is pretty handy to that venue.

Thanks Eyeper, wow, it would be great to sail with other people. Also, I'd like to get a closer look at other types of boats. And, as you mention, Tomales is pretty close and no freeway! I am loaded up to go to Lake Mendocino in the morning and maybe stay a night or two-I'll see how it looks anyway and most likely sail. [email protected]

Last edited:
Miller's boat launch seems the closest to Santa Rosa, have you launched from there- I am definitely interested and know this place. I think it is a county park in Marin...(?). I may have to go out and see Lawson's as they may have a launch on the bay side of their property. Maybe with my boat dolly I can take off away from the direct flow of the tide... After seeing your Laser videos, I think Tomales is the go to place-you guys are moving !

Last edited:
Lawsons has a great inside the bay sand beach for launching. You can drive on it. Miller is dock only and the ramps aren't Laser/Sunfish-friendly and rigging while the boat is tied to the dock is challenging. Also, there are a lot of shoals up that way and eelgrass snagging is common. We launch further south on Hwy 1, about a quarter mile south of Marconi Conference Center. We call it Marconi cove and it's a non-regulated piece of land with good parking and beach launching in the lee of a little spit so you don't fight the wind much while rigging, but sail out a couple hundred feet and you have it!

Yes, I know it and again, thanks, it's great to be able to get this kind of information otherwise I could get myself in a crummy situation. I found a nasty chip in my gelcoat from hitting a rock on my first launch at Lake Sonoma, so I want to fix that -my 1st repair. Hope to meet up with you guys in the not too distant future. My Dad showed me the basics of sailing when I was a kid but other than that, I've been on my own.

Back