Hatch Size for Catalina Capri 14.2

tibb1997

I just purchased a Catalina Capri 14.2 but have not picked it up yet. There is no cover over the hatch. It just has snaps where I guess you could have canvas cover made for it. However I would like something more water tight than that. A new hatch cover through Catalina is around $120.00. I found a Bomar Style Hatch, size 10 x 20 inches for sale on-line way cheaper. It looks like it is made of plastic and/or fiberglass. The hinge opening appears to be a more secure opening system than the Catalina made version. I was wondering if anyone would know if I could use this Bomar Style hatch cover instead. I've never heard of Bomar. It looks like it shows pre-drilled holes for around the opening which I'm wondering could be used and the previous snaps on boat removed? Any one out there have any suggestions and advise? I'm new to this boat but have sailing experience on other boats. Thanks to anyone who can help me out! Cindy

Sounds like the boat you bought is a Mod 2 (same as I have). It has a "tunnel", which replaced the cuddy in Mod 1. I don't think that any of the commercially available hatches fit (including the one from Catalina) without a lot of modification. The one from Catalina is for the Mod 3. Others might be able to speak to this better than I, but my understanding is that the Mod 3 hatch won't fit the Mod 2 opening. Look back in old threads; seems to me there were several that went into this in some detail, and my recollection is that everyone thought this would be pretty tough. :(

Cindy, my Mod 2 came with a black canvas cover which is actually a bag with a zippered opening. It snaps on at the sides and bottom and attaches at the top by velcro. It works really well for my purposes, I use the bag for stowing my halyards when the sails are raised, really keeps things tidy and out of the centre board trunk.

I have had not any issues with rain getting in to the cuddy hole or loosing stuff in a capsize. If you feel you need more stowage, check this forum history. Some owners have removed the cuddy liner entirely which exposes an enormous hold and then fabricate a custom hatch out of marine plywood to seal it off. There is a treasure chest of info on this forum, just takes a bit of digging around to find it.

Hatchcoverer

George & Tynwald,
Thanks for your help. I may have forgot to mention that the boat is a 1995. I know nothing about any of the mod 1, 2, or 3's or what that means. I'll be leaving in a day or 2 to pick up the boat in TX unless I have to divert to NC to check on my travel trailer first (due to wonderful Earl!), which I hope everything will be ok and shipshape and I can go to NC after picking up the boat and enjoy it a little in the salt water before bringing it back to MI to enjoy the fresh water! Hopefully between going back and forth to NC and MI I will find a dealer or someone who knows some more options for me to use. I'm looking forward to this new boat, except right now I'm just having anxiety attacks over Earl, Fiona, Gaston, Herman, etc.!!! Used to live in a duplex in NC on the beach so I know what to expect to an extent. I've been through many hurricanes, however not with a travel trailer, so yes I'm bit scared!! Thanks again for your advise and I'll keep digging, as you say!! Sincerely, Cindy

You have the last year of the "Mod 2"; Catalina came out with the "Mod 3" in 1996 (for a detailed timeline and information about changes that were made, take a look at the brief history of the C14 under FAQ's). Good luck with your travels! Jon

Back