Has anyone tried rigging up a system to lock the rudder in place while moving?

suthe245

I just bought my first sunfish and so far I have been having a blast! I was just wondering if anyone here has attempted to lock the rudder in place and essentially sail hands free. Seems like that would be convenient when you want to get something out of a dry bag or out of that little storage compartment.

Thanks!

Meh, I usually just throw a toe or heel hook round the tiller, maybe throw a leg across the extension as well... otherwise you'd have to devise some sort of "flip-stop" on the afterdeck. Toe & heel hooks always worked fine for grabbing the camera, another cold beer, whatever... a handy cleat frees up your other hand if necessary. :rolleyes:

Just Googled that as ya said, that's a neat little invention... might be just what the OP needs. Moi, I like having more direct control over steering, even if I AM steering with my feet like a nautical chimpanzee, LOL. And when a big ol' gust hits, a skipper may not have much time to unscrew that gizmo, or whatever one does to release it... still, a clever idea, and maybe just what the doctor ordered for the OP. Cheers!!! :cool:

West Marine makes a tiller clip which is a U shaped device that can be mounted behind the cockpit. Sizes are priced from around 3-5 dollars-I may get one of these...APS has a number of options too.

Last edited:
Before anyone goes to a lot of trouble coming up with a rudder lock, the next time you are sailing, try holding the tiller in place for 10 or 15 seconds without moving it AT ALL and see what happens.

Before anyone goes to a lot of trouble coming up with a rudder lock, the next time you are sailing, try holding the tiller in place for 10 or 15 seconds without moving it AT ALL and see what happens.
Good point Beldar,,,I was thinking it would be nice to have the option but might not use it too much. I also hesitate to screw or glue anything on the deck!

Beldar is correct the tiller is always in motion with you are sailing.

Racers pancake the tiller down even for a couple of seconds to reduce drag and steer with body weight. Suthe245, just stop the boat and get what you want and start sailing again. Stopping works people who race sometimes take the rig down to make adjustments even in wind and waves.

Back