Has anyone stuck a full size Laser rig in a Zuma?

williaty

I've got some health issues going on and being able to "bathtub sail" the Zuma (think how most adults sail in an Opti after dinner with a beer in one hand and limbs hanging out all 4 sides of the boat) hull is moderately possible for me while a Laser hull is just impossible. I see a fair amount of criticism of the Zuma on here. Is any of that improved if I just shove a full sized Laser rig into the poor Zuma?

I have done that and I really liked the feel of it. You will not be competitive in the laser class racing though, the Zuma hull is slightly slower with the same rig.

Another major improvement for your Zuma is adding an AeroSouth rudder. https://aerosouth.net/sunfish-rudder

Since the Zuma's rudder is vertical "out of the box", what is the difference between sailing a Zuma with its stock rudder, vs, the Zuma with an Aerosouth rudder (except for the fact the AeroSouth rudder costs $300)?

The Sunfish racing daggerboard would be a great upgrade, and Intensity sells their version, which is top quality, for around $200.

Since the Zuma's rudder is vertical "out of the box", what is the difference between sailing a Zuma with its stock rudder, vs, the Zuma with an Aerosouth rudder (except for the fact the AeroSouth rudder costs $300)?

The Sunfish racing daggerboard would be a great upgrade, and Intensity sells their version, which is top quality, for around $200.
Not vertical out of the box for my Zuma. The Aerosmith rudder was a huge improvement.

Can anybody confirm the laser rig fits in a Zuma? Looking to do this once I get my boat fixed up. Reports elsewhere online have conflicting info as to whether a standard laser mast fits or not.

Back