Has anyone ever "wrapped" a sunfish?

po-man sailor

I see lots of power boats putting those on. I personally wrapped a jeep with realtree breakup one time. Got tons of comments wherever I went. Caught several folks taking pics standing in front of it at the beach.
I was thinking the Navy digital camo and some sort of coordinating sail.
There is a place here in town that will do graphic custom designs as well. I saw a shark mouth design on a lower hull sort of like the WWII fighter planes. Just currious. I would think someone in the racing world would have done something creative unless its not allowed. If anyone has pics please post.

Some camouflage would’ve looked great on this “creation” (not mine). Not sure you can tell it was a Sunfish hull... but it was!

2185AF04-712F-440A-987F-752F915BB54F.jpeg

WOW. I had the perfect motor for that. It was an air cooled 1955 wisconsin inboard with a tiny in line nose cone transmission. Pull leaver for neutral and push to put in gear. Came out of an old sail boat. Chug chug chug...African queen...

Reactions: tag
We were just talking about digital camo today on a Sunfish. Maybe a gray sail?

I am tempted to do a dazzle camo scheme.

dazzle camo.jpeg

Concept art, but this FB-22 scheme looks cool.

FB-22.png

And I think a solid red boat with red sail would be wicked. The first wooden Sunfish had color matched sails and hulls in yellow, red and blue.

Wrapping the deck is something I have been contemplating. Depending on the design and your supplier it’ll probably be cheaper and more durable then paint, and a helluva lot easy to redo in 5 years.

What the powerboaters call "graphics"?

Sure beats new gelcoat. Is this something applied with heat? Can anyone apply it? How to remove same?

I am tempted to do a dazzle camo scheme.

View attachment 45583

And I think a solid red boat with red sail would be wicked. The first wooden Sunfish had color matched sails and hulls in yellow, red and blue.
"Dazzle" has an interesting history from WWI. Britain had already had 1/5 of its merchant ships sunk when "Dazzle" was demonstrated to the King.

What the powerboaters call "graphics"?

Sure beats new gelcoat. Is this something applied with heat? Can anyone apply it? How to remove same?
Plenty of DIY on YouTube.
I never done it myself, but I have a feeling it’s something I’ll be trying out soon enough. If not on one of the boats maybe a motorcycle or truck. Hell if I don’t like it, then I’ll just peel it off.

It is easy diy. I've done my jeep, a gehnoo square back canoe with camo for hunting.
I even did my shotgun. The vendor site i used was " camo clad" but there are more out there. It comes in tons of patterns and colors at several sites.
One thing to remember is buy only the 3m product that is easily removable and adjustable. You can place it, pull it back up and readjust it, stretch it on curves slightly. It makes the install much much easier. It is NOT done with a heat gun but its better to do it in the sun or warm environment. Its very forgiving. Also, when you dont want it anymore, it peels right off....and I dont mean like old duct tape. It really peels right off. Dont even bother with the "single stick" type. Its cheaper but I assure you its a waste of money and you will be very sorry when you attempt to take it off. You can't adjust once stuck. Not forgiving at all. The camo or "busy" patterns are the easiest because you can't see the seams. Also if you get a tear or a piece missing you just cut out a piece of scrap and stick over it and you will never even notice it. Solid colors are available also. Even locally at shops now days

The camo stuff i used is not. In fact I feel mine was a little more "grippy" than gell coat. However, I have also seen the very slick Shiney kind they wrap high end cars and some boats with.

Back