Harken clew sleeve !!!

sailingmania

Dear all i have just purchased a harken clew sleve, and when trying it on a broken top mast section. i had found it did fit but i found the friction was quite great,! maybee too much for the elastic? this is just bare aluminium not lubricated is this normal or do i need to get a longer clevis pin? or is this right? please any comment would help before i ring up laser and ask, only problem they are not open sundays and race is 2 moz lol.

Cheers
Jack.​

Re: Harken clew sleve !!!

Never been a fan of them. I've seen sails come un hooked while luffing before. Once was on a start line. I don't trust them.

Clew strap all the way for me.

I have found mine to be reliable as long as you rig it exactly as recommended. Do nothing to inhibit the rotation of the hook on the clevis pin. Keep the sliding surface of the boom clean from lubricant build up, salt, sand etc. Lubricate with a wet (say silicon oil) or dry lubricant. Stick to that and an in haul elastic is not required in my experience.

Clive

I never had it come off on me as long as I had the clew grommet inserted all the way to the end of the hook. You had to flip it just right to get it to slide, which also helped keep it from coming loose.

I never could get mind to operate smoothly using a shock cord inhaul. It always pulled the sleeve to one side. It would work fine on shore, but would bind when loaded up out on the water.

I gave up on mine a couple years ago and started using the Harken clew strap. It takes a little longer to rig, but I'm much happier with it.

To answer the original poster, you MUST use lubricant on the boom or the clew sleeve will bind. I use McLube.

i realise you must use lube the thing is that i was under the impression that lube was not allowed on laser anywhere is this right? if so what do the pros do at olympics or whatever how do they get it to slide?

i realise you must use lube the thing is that i was under the impression that lube was not allowed on laser anywhere is this right? if so what do the pros do at olympics or whatever how do they get it to slide?

You can use lube.

Also, I don't think any pros will choose the sleeve over a clew strap.

I bought mine last year and I like it so far but I found it really needs a shock cord inhaul to work properly. I lost mine and I can't find a hook small enough to attach on the sleeve end, anyone know where I can find it ?

after fitting it to my boom and plastering it with silicone lubricant it is brilliant!!! it slides like hell! no elastic needed the wind in the sail pulls it inboard and my xd outhaul pulls it out brilliant!!!

I like mine as it is so easy to attach/detach the sail. I only got it after the velcro "ley me down" whilst out sailing (i.e. came detached) - so I guess not all solutions are perfect in all regards.

Ian

I was a huge fan for a long time. I think I bought it 2 days after it came on the market. However, it recently has fallen from favor in my book. The amount of lube it took to make the thing flow was almost incredible. I also had it let go on me once going downwind in 20 kts which made for a messy and delayed mark rounding. I switched back to the clew strap immediately following the conclusion of my frostbiting season.

I still have a clew sleeve on my practice boat, but I only race with the strap now. I don't know if if the cold weather had anything to do with the sleeve not working the way it should... but I'm moved the clew strap back to my rig and I think I'll be hard pressed to go back.

I just use silicone spray lubricant sparay and slide sleve then its ok! i think its rocol or something but any silicone lubricant should do the trick, or if you forget some sope! lol never tried sope lol. you would have to keep the boom out the water lol (and remember to spray the lubricant downwind so it does not go on the decks)

I bought mine last year and I like it so far but I found it really needs a shock cord inhaul to work properly. I lost mine and I can't find a hook small enough to attach on the sleeve end, anyone know where I can find it ?

Intensitysails.com has a bungee with a hook that works perfectly.

I know, I had one from Intensity and it flew in the air and went down to the bottom of the lake, I never understand what really happened. :confused:

Back