Harken clew sleeve anyone

I have the Harken clew sleeve and think it is great. When I first got it (a couple of years ago) I put some spray silicone on the boom so it slid easily and ever since then it has worked really well.

When sailing, I guess as long as whatever you use keeps the clew close to the boom and moves freely it makes little difference. For me the convenience of the Harken device is rigging (and un-rigging) - and it is really quick.

The Harken thing has never released the sail on its own (unlike my velcro clew strap - which is the initial reason I changed).

I do have to say that for a "rigging convenience" it is expensive - but had I the decision to make again after my experience I would spend the money again and get one.

I guess there is no "right" answer, everybody making their own decisions for good reasons.

Ian

As you can see there are 2 camps.

I think if you look at pictures from the top end regattas most of them are using straps as opposed to the sleeve (I am assuming they have a choice on supplied boats?).

Personally I will stick with my strap, it slides so much easier than the clew sleeve and it does not trash the boom!

1. You can get the clew closer to the boom with a strap.

2. I have seen a clew pop off the Harken hook when luffing right before a start. Needless to say, that guy didn't have a great start.

As far as securing the clew, in my opinion, strap > hook.

Why can't they put some sort of device on the hook that would eliminate the risk of the clew coming free?

(Probably against the rules, somewhere...)

I have the Harken clew sleeve and think it is great. When I first got it (a couple of years ago) I put some spray silicone on the boom so it slid easily and ever since then it has worked really well.

When sailing, I guess as long as whatever you use keeps the clew close to the boom and moves freely it makes little difference. For me the convenience of the Harken device is rigging (and un-rigging) - and it is really quick.

The Harken thing has never released the sail on its own (unlike my velcro clew strap - which is the initial reason I changed).

I do have to say that for a "rigging convenience" it is expensive - but had I the decision to make again after my experience I would spend the money again and get one.

I guess there is no "right" answer, everybody making their own decisions for good reasons.

Ian

I agree 150% to you, Ian. In several years of using the "John Christianson Clew Tie Down" (now better known under the selling name: "Harken Clew Sleeve"), I never had any problems with it. Some people do not read instruction manuals, so, such people perhaps have had unexpected releases. I never had such issues, neither with the original 1st sold hook, than with the actually modified hook. To use it or to more like to use a clew strap is, like 'jeffers' told it, more a subjective decision of each single sailor than based on objective disadvantages.

Of course I sometimes use a clew strap, too, but this is because I made them my self ('Merrily' got them both from me) and to test them sometimes. In the moment, I am on, to find a better lubricant for the JC Clew Tie Down. There is no big wearing on the boom, that I did recognized. But to have 0%-friction, between sleeve and boom, I have found something new useful and if this lubricant passes my own tests successful next year (it is winter break at my hemisphere), I publish openly here what it is all about. The ILCA Technical Officer, Clive Humphries, I already did informed (~ in June 2009). The first can of the new lubricant I get probably next week, it is already ordered, Clive. :)

Ciao
LooserLu

Thanks everyone for that. The main reason for me was de rigging, I sometimes get in a right mess in a howling on shore trying to free the clew strap and the hook. Main reason being I knot the out haul on the XD so that I can just free it down wind to a desired max.
Lazy maybe?

Thanks everyone for that. The main reason for me was de rigging, I sometimes get in a right mess in a howling on shore trying to free the clew strap and the hook. Main reason being I knot the out haul on the XD so that I can just free it down wind to a desired max.
Lazy maybe?

How do you attach the outhaul to the clew. Do you use the "XD"-hook or a long "patent"-shackle (such as used for halyard) or nothing of both?

Regarding to the xd-hook, you use, and to the question at your first post and your 2reply, I would say: you perhaps have no inhaul shockcord. (I guess, there is no existenitally need for the HK 404 Micro Block at the xd-hook, but an inhaul shockcord)
Here I quote of a gallery-website of Annapolis Performance Sailing APS, a sailing store at USAs Eastcoast. There you find some photos of the inhaul.
http://apsltd.smugmug.com/gallery/9144056_LGNzG/1/609855327_Et6MM#P-5-12

Usually I wouldn't knot the inhaul to the hook, like it is shown on the photos of APS. I would attach the inhaul to the clewstrap, f.e. with a small hook. If the inhaul tension is setted correct, your outhaul control system sure works better. You are permitted to knot the inhaul like at this photo here:
http://www.laserforum.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5309&d=1256756755

Choose the maximum tension for the shockcord, if the clew of the sail is at the position "15 cm to the end of the boom" (the strong wind position of the clew).

Ciao
LooserLu

Rigging and un-rigging the sail clew is really easy unlike the huge struggle rigging with the velcro strap in medium/strong winds.

2. I have seen a clew pop off the Harken hook when luffing right before a start. Needless to say, that guy didn't have a great start.

As far as securing the clew, in my opinion, strap > hook.

Why can't they put some sort of device on the hook that would eliminate the risk of the clew coming free?

(Probably against the rules, somewhere...)

I use a strap with a hook. Both security and easy handling are a matter of how the hook is bent. You have to bend it slightly, using a tool (or some Uri Geller type guy at your club), in order to shape right, inbetween to loose and to narrow. Never had mine come undone since.

For those of y'all using the clew sleeve, how to you attached the inhaul? This was my biggest problem. I could rig up something that worked really slick ashore. However when I got out on the water with everything loaded up, it would bind. Does the clew sleeve not even require an inhaul?

For those of y'all using the clew sleeve, how to you attached the inhaul? This was my biggest problem. I could rig up something that worked really slick ashore. However when I got out on the water with everything loaded up, it would bind. Does the clew sleeve not even require an inhaul?

I was using the sleeve for awhile but have gone back to the clew strap. I definitely found that you still needed an inhaul for light air. Instead of the single length I use with the strap, I took a piece of shock-cord twice as long with the middle of it going through the point on the sleeve that the block attaches to. Both ends of the shock-cord tie to the cleat with the shock-cord criss-crossing itself under the boom. The shock-cord is then pulling from two sides which kept it from binding.

I agree that it's convenient when rigging in a breeze, but I found I had to pretty continually spray the boom with lubricant to keep it moving smoothly.

Some great advice thanks. I am trying one on Saturday, a friends. He says he has it nailed but by the sound of your feedback there must be a downside. Will let you know how it goes.

I did infact try the clew sleeve. My friend who claimed to have it sussed had anything but. He had glued some fine velcro on the inside of the clew sleeve to make it run smooth. This it did not. I think it was a case of I have paid for this and I will make it work or at least make everyone else believe it works.
Rigging and de rig was a doddle though it has to be said.
I have today ordered a new strap.
Thanks for your advice everyone.

I don't get it....

I've read the thread with interest, because I'd planned to get the metal sleeve - primarily to shave a few minutes off the rigging / de-rigging time. What I don't get is why / how the metal one can bind worse than the velcro clew strap (which is what I currently have). I personally find the velcro one binds quite badly (although I've recently decided it has a lot to do with a big sticker / decal thing on the end of the boom that seems to be there so you can check your setting easily... The sticker is peeling off, and feels a bit 'grippy' in places, and I'd planned to get rid properly).

So, is the metal one WORSE than the velcro, or just the same (and more expensive)? Personally, I think I'm happy to pay for the convenience because I always seem to rig it wrong and have to redo it 2-3 times. Am I making a huge mistake? (With the sleeve, not my rigging!!)
:confused:

The reason it is worse is because you have 2 different types of metal trying to run against each other. If you have anything in there they will start to bind.

On your current setup so you have a shockcord inhaul? I find this makes a big difference.

Having seen the clew sleeve in action I will be sticking with my velcro strap!

On your current setup so you have a shockcord inhaul? I find this makes a big difference.

I have the Rooster shockcord inhaul. It seems a bit 'weak' for the job (thin I guess), and possibly a bit long. I keep messing with it and taking some length off it periodically to see if it improves. I was thinking that if I got the sleeve I'd be able to use the existing shockcord in a loop, tied at each end on the boom cleat, looping round the top of the sleeve somehow so all the forces are coming off roughly the same point... My current setup just seems a bit... messy, and I was hoping the sleeve would help to get it sorted.

I have the Rooster shockcord inhaul. It seems a bit 'weak' for the job (thin I guess), and possibly a bit long. I keep messing with it and taking some length off it periodically to see if it improves. I was thinking that if I got the sleeve I'd be able to use the existing shockcord in a loop, tied at each end on the boom cleat, looping round the top of the sleeve somehow so all the forces are coming off roughly the same point... My current setup just seems a bit... messy, and I was hoping the sleeve would help to get it sorted.

I have quite a thick piece of shock cord on mine (5-6mm) that is currently tied to the cleat. It attaches to the strap via a stainless steel hook (not sure if this is class legal but it is easy enough change if not). I take it round the boom once on the way to the clew (to keep it out the way and stop it fouling the foot of the sail. I then have a Harken airblock with a hook on it for the outhaul which attaches directly to the clew of the sail.

It doesn look as tidy as it perhaps could do but it works and requires very little effort to adjust.

If I remember next time I am at the boat I will take my camera and get some pictures. A fair few at my club have very similar setups as this has been found to work the best.

As for the hook for the inhaul shock cord, here is a good example at the websides of Intensity Sails. View direct to the "frozen 1st photo" of the youtube video there:
http://www.intensitysails.com/incuouup.html

The hook is small, but the diameter of the bungee is like "jeffers" told. To get the optimal tension for the shock cord of the inhaul:
you hold the clew-grommet in 15 cm distance to the end of the boom and then pull (the clew stays still in this position) the shock cord to maximum load at the camcleat of the boom and then knot that end of the bungee to the bridge of that camcleat (or fixit classlegal, too: aft the camcleat -> http://www.laserforum.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5309&d=1256756755 ).

( @ GoBig: I guess "fine velcro" between the Harken Clew sleeve and the boom is not class legal, only lubricant (soon) is permitted)

To get the optimal tension for the shock cord of the inhaul:
you hold the clew-grommet in 15 cm distance to the end of the boom and then pull (the clew stays still in this position) the shock cord to maximum load at the camcleat of the boom

I guess my bungee needs to be quite a bit tighter... but I still fancy the collar to make life easy...
:cool:

If you have trouble with your clew strap, it may be because of the material being grippy, I have seen some with big diagonal stiching on the face that slides on the boom. My intensity one works well and it seems that the rooster does as well

My rig was inspired by an old product called the "Dorsal Outhaul." I had a clew hook, bought a "Laser" brand strap because it was narrower, and had the hook sewn into the the same loop as the "D" ring on the clew strap. The result is great - easy de-rigging, no jams. As for concerns about the hook coming out of the cringle when luffing, I have never had a problem. However, as a precautionary measure I bent the end of the hook inward very slightly.

Back