Harken ceiling support dimensions...

Very Senior Member
I am interested in one of the Harken ceiling support systems for my boat. I have plenty of available space in my garage for such a device, but need to put up support structure for the connection points.

Does anyone have the layout of this system handy? All I need is the distance between points, and how they relate to the hull itself.. so I dont put the supports too close to the wall. (c: ..

If anyone has other ideas about how to conveniently support the boat up there ( 12 foot ceilings ) I'm all ears.

I have one in my garage. Not currently in use, but the hardware is all there. What do you need to know?

I have one in my garage. Not currently in use, but the hardware is all there. What do you need to know?

I have to add support structure to the ceiling. So I need to know what the configuration is where it attaches to the ceiling.

I plan on putting 3/4 plywood on the ceiling (sheetrock) and passing threaded rod thru to a plate made of 2X6 or similiar on the top of the rafter. So I need to know approximately where the support points are, and where the boat is w/respect to the supports so I can put it up. I have 14 foot kayaks hanging in the other bay ( two bay garage ) and it works really well. I can just drop them on the van and go to the water. Want the same convenience for the Laser (c:

Would you like to sell it?

No way. After going to the trouble to put it in, there's no way I'm taking it down. And I still use it occasionally to load up when I cartop.

I have to add support structure to the ceiling. So I need to know what the configuration is where it attaches to the ceiling.

I plan on putting 3/4 plywood on the ceiling (sheetrock) and passing threaded rod thru to a plate made of 2X6 or similiar on the top of the rafter. So I need to know approximately where the support points are, and where the boat is w/respect to the supports so I can put it up. I have 14 foot kayaks hanging in the other bay ( two bay garage ) and it works really well. I can just drop them on the van and go to the water. Want the same convenience for the Laser (c:

Here's a picture of my setup, sans rigging lines:

5504351696_cde9480ace.jpg

The rafters in my garage run front to back, so I had to install 2x6's as you describe. They secure to the rafters using lag bolts, then the eye hooks from the Harken kit mount into the 2x6s.

I have them spaced 5' apart. The front strap goes in front of the centerboard trunk, and the rear strap is at the back end of the cockpit. I cartop at about these same positions. There is 53" of lateral separation for each pair of eye hooks. They are 40" away from the wall, about 20" from the garage door track support.

You said you have 12' ceilings, which should be plenty of space. I have not quite 10', and there is only 2' of clearance bewteen the garage door (when up) and the ceiling. This is BARELY enough room to do this.

Outstanding description, and exactly what I was looking for. I assume the transom is closest to the door (front of the garage) when the boat is hoisted.

The ceiling I plan to use has 2X4 on 24 inch centers so I was thinking of putting in a board above the rafters as well to 'thru bolt' to. Looks like you are doing fine with only lag bolts into the rafters which is much easier to do. In my garage, the path to the attic is long and difficult, from the house thru a breezeway roof area, then onto the ceiling with blown insulation everywhere along the path (C: .. Maybe I'll skip that step (c:

Pix shows the kayaks up in storage. I have also have rafters running front to back, so my installation will look very similiar to yours.

picture.php

Thanks for the help!!

Yes, the stern of the boat is at the garage door.

The instructions with the Harken kit specifically recommends 2x6's and 4" lag bolts for the cross-trusses.

Back