Class Politics Harken blocks on boom

laserrad90

Is it class legal to replace the standard blue blocks with harken or any other type of performance blocks.
Let me know.

Phil

Hello Phil,
To the best of my knowledge it is illegal to replace the standard blocks on the boom with higher performance blocks. I think they do come in other colors instead of blue, one of my booms had black blocks on it and I have also found a grey block at west marine that is also identical to the blue or black blocks used by the builder.
Perhaps our official NA measurer (Gouvernail) will weigh in regarding the legality of upgrading the boom blocks.
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Nope...Can't change them out with anything but the Holt Allen blocks as supplied by the manufacturer.
Color is not considered to be a factor.
The blocks used to be held together by tiny screws. Those blocks often split open and failed.
The newer Holt Allen blocks have a reinforcing washer behind the rivets. Unless you smash them, they seem to last forever.

Unfortunatly, I smashed a couple last year and had to spend money that could have been used to buy lunch....phooey

completly illegal because the new blocks are smaller ( or can be) wich would allow you to sheet in that extra bit in medium wind and reallt take off

Back