hardware for connecting jib sail to sailboat?

captnron

Hi All, I purchased a 1988 capri and have gone over it replacing parts on the trailer and the boat.

I am missing the piece of hardware that connects the jib sail to the boat hull. If anyone could help out by letting me know what this piece looks like and is called it would really be appreciated. Also where does the jib connect to the hull? Does it connect to the steel plate that is on the bow of the boat? Possibly on the rear most hole?

Lots of great information on this website. It is really helpful.

Thanks,
Ron

[email protected]

Shackles

You can find them at West Marine. I use Harkin hardware for my jib, it cost about $6. And yes, you can use either the middle or most inboard hole on the bow plate to connect your jib. I use the middle hole, as probably most 14.2 sailors, to give me just a tad more reach.

Is there a particular type of shackle?

Hi, Thanks for the help. I am new to sailing hardware, etc. Is there a recommended shackle for connecting the jib to the hull? Seems there are a lot of different types of shackles?

Thanks,
Ron

Shackle

Typically you would use a 'D' shackle but a Snap shackle can also be used. Look for one proportionate to the sail.

Back