Hardware Backing Plates

BHarvey

If I install a new cleat, or other hardware,, on my Sunfish is there a Backing plate? Should I pack the screw hole with caulking? If needed how would I put in a Backing plate?
Txs

Are you talking of a deck cleat? Those are installed on the overhang so you can bolt them from inside the cockpit tub. You do not want to pierce the hull unless you put in an inspection port so you can put a backing plate.

If you install a cam cleat and a block on the cockpit lip as Sailflow mentioned, I would typically just use a larger washer on the backside to help spread out the load.
img0187_070.jpg

All hardware should have a backing plate even if it's only a washer. It should be caulked to prevent leaking if that's desirable. There are numerous methods to accomplish this also depending on location and hardware.

If I install a new cleat, or other hardware,, on my Sunfish is there a Backing plate? Should I pack the screw hole with caulking? If needed how would I put in a Backing plate?
Txs
Sunfish have backing plates under their existing hardware. If your "new hardware" will be expected to take a heavy load, a backing plate should be added. Wood, Trex, plastic cutting board, aluminum or stainless steel are alternate backing plate materials.

Inspection ports are the preferred access; however, cutting through the bottom or sides are options--to be resealed afterwards using a fiberglass repair kit--$30.

Backing plates on older hulls may have rotted or fallen off. One can test for that with a paperclip.
Backing plates on newer Sunfish are metal and glassed in; unlikely to cause that kind of problem

Back