Harbor Freight Sunfish Trailer

I went to Harbor Freight yesterday, and bought their smallest roadworthy trailer, fully assembled, for $239.:cool:

It's a lot better built than I thought! :oops:

Twelve-inch tires!

It looks like adding six feet or so to the trailer tongue would be necessary to tow a Sunfish. Small towing ball required, not the 2-incher. Latch has cotter pin and heavy chains have spring latches.

Pictures to follow...

I went to Harbor Freight yesterday, and bought their smallest roadworthy trailer, fully assembled, for $239.:cool:

It's a lot better built than I thought! :oops:

Twelve-inch tires!

It looks like adding six feet or so to the trailer tongue would be necessary to tow a Sunfish. Small towing ball required, not the 2-incher. Latch has cotter pin and heavy chains have spring latches.

Pictures to follow...

I am looking forward to the pictures, also what is the SKU for the trailer you bought?

Here is my HF 4x8 trailer where I made 2 U frames so I can transport boats at once. The U frames are just 2x4's with some 3/4" plywood corner braces. You will have to fit the 2x4 into the pockets on the trailer, they are designed this way. You get a much tighter fit which adds to the stability. I added some eye hooks for straps.

I only have been trailering 2 a year from the club and home at the beginning and end of the season. It is about 15 miles with some at highway speeds.

I have been using some higher density foam for padding. It was packing material from computers people got at work.

Attachments

• IMG_2169.JPG
    IMG_2169.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 107
Reactions: tag
I am looking forward to the pictures, also what is the SKU for the trailer you bought?
I'll check further on the SKU.

One reference states, "Open Box". (So I guess I got either an exhibit or a returned trailer). Data appearing on trailer tongue, below.Fullscreen capture 4212021 82005 PM.bmp.jpg

Fullscreen capture 4212021 80310 PM.bmp.jpg
Fullscreen capture 4212021 75304 PM.bmp.jpg

Up

That link to the Corpus Christi Sailing Center "Guidelines for Building a Cradle for a Sunfish Sailboat on a Trailer" seems broken, as well as the link to the same place on the Sunfish FAQ page, but you can still find the info in the Internet Archive's wayback machine:

Guidelines for Building a Cradle for a Sunfish Sailboat on a Trailer
That's a comprehensive study on Sunfish trailer customizations; however, the author needed an editor.

I think he meant "Wolmarized" Pine, instead of "Womanized" Pine. :oops: :confused:

The jokes could write themselves!

Last edited:
I like what you have done. It appears that you have solved all the problems I have encountered. I never thought of using PVC. The sound you may hear is my hand slapping my forehead while exclaiming DUH!! Could you send me some details like size of pipe and axle details, if this info is easily attainable.
Try this link...

Here's the dolly which is made of PVC pipe, pool noodle and some wheels from Harbor Freight. I use it to launch the Sunfish and load it on my trailer. It is easily disassembled and stores in the car while sailing...
View attachment 44288

I love the PVC dolly you built!
Also, it was also a lot of fun sailing with you on Orchard Lake today. Your '80 'fish looks great on the water.

I love the PVC dolly you built!
Also, it was also a lot of fun sailing with you on Orchard Lake today. Your '80 'fish looks great on the water.
Hey Weston! Yeah - great day today. I really enjoyed speaking with you and your wife. You both have some nice boats. It's always a pleasure sailing with other SF owners. I hope to see you again sometime. Happy sailing!

So my take.

I have the larger HF trailer. I use it twice a year so far plus pick up of SF I have bought.

I just put the plywood on top and made 2 U shape 2x4 things so I can put 2 boats on it. I just put down some heavier packing foam and use my son to help load and unload. I transport deck down. If you have an J edge new type hull they are just a bit wider then then trailer and you need to take one leg of the 2x out to fit it on the bottom.

I keep mine inside folded up. I have had troubles with not routing the wires right and breaking them when folding. Tires are not good quality but UV light is what kills them so inside storage makes a difference. The bearings just need to be checked to make sure they are greased. I have not traveled enough to warrant a check. I also only do about 80 - 100 miles a year with it so far.

The paint is not the best and they will rust if you let them. For $400 what do you expect. It does come with paperwork so you can put a plate on it.

If you plan on driving a zillion miles on it then quality tires might be smart. Mostly it is just common mechanical sense and it should survive for a long time.

You have to look at how you will be using it to decide. I think if you want to travel distances at highway speeds all the time then the HF trailer is not the right choice and a trailer with larger tires would be smarter. If all you are doing is 10 miles on back roads and the idea of a trailer around that can be used for other things well the HF trailer could be a good value for you.

Back