What's new

Harbor Freight Sunfish Trailer

L&VW

I went to Harbor Freight yesterday, and bought their smallest roadworthy trailer, fully assembled, for $239.:cool:

It's a lot better built than I thought! :oops:

Twelve-inch tires!

It looks like adding six feet or so to the trailer tongue would be necessary to tow a Sunfish. Small towing ball required, not the 2-incher. Latch has cotter pin and heavy chains have spring latches.

Pictures to follow...

Mashmaster

I went to Harbor Freight yesterday, and bought their smallest roadworthy trailer, fully assembled, for $239.:cool:

It's a lot better built than I thought! :oops:

Twelve-inch tires!

It looks like adding six feet or so to the trailer tongue would be necessary to tow a Sunfish. Small towing ball required, not the 2-incher. Latch has cotter pin and heavy chains have spring latches.

Pictures to follow...
I am looking forward to the pictures, also what is the SKU for the trailer you bought?

shorefun

Here is my HF 4x8 trailer where I made 2 U frames so I can transport boats at once. The U frames are just 2x4's with some 3/4" plywood corner braces. You will have to fit the 2x4 into the pockets on the trailer, they are designed this way. You get a much tighter fit which adds to the stability. I added some eye hooks for straps.

I only have been trailering 2 a year from the club and home at the beginning and end of the season. It is about 15 miles with some at highway speeds.

I have been using some higher density foam for padding. It was packing material from computers people got at work.

Attachments

Reactions: tag

L&VW

I am looking forward to the pictures, also what is the SKU for the trailer you bought?
I'll check further on the SKU.

One reference states, "Open Box". (So I guess I got either an exhibit or a returned trailer). Data appearing on trailer tongue, below.Fullscreen capture 4212021 82005 PM.bmp.jpg

Fullscreen capture 4212021 80310 PM.bmp.jpgFullscreen capture 4212021 75304 PM.bmp.jpg

L&VW

Up

That link to the Corpus Christi Sailing Center "Guidelines for Building a Cradle for a Sunfish Sailboat on a Trailer" seems broken, as well as the link to the same place on the Sunfish FAQ page, but you can still find the info in the Internet Archive's wayback machine:

Guidelines for Building a Cradle for a Sunfish Sailboat on a Trailer
That's a comprehensive study on Sunfish trailer customizations; however, the author needed an editor.

I think he meant "Wolmarized" Pine, instead of "Womanized" Pine. :oops: :confused:

The jokes could write themselves!

Last edited:
Reactions: tag