Halyards inside mast

nano4588

Good morning everyone,
I had a question about the placement of the halyards inside the mast. Do all three run aft or forward of the spreader compression tube inside the mast? I understand they should run aft of the thru bar, but if they are forward of the compression tube and aft of the thru bar that seems to make some additional tension. I am assuming that they run aft of BOTH the compression tube and thru bar, but just wanted to ask around if anyone has some definite answers on this. My pole lift is forward of both. Thanks!

I saw your post a couple of weeks ago, but didn't recall the compression tube you speak about. I replaced my spreaders with the thru-bar setup many years ago.

I just came across the old hardware (God knows; I can't throw away seemingly expensive junk!), so I see this 'compression tube'. It's in the same place that the thru-bar would occupy, and was not used when the thru-bar was installed. The spreaders are screwed to the thru-bar, so the forces are transmitted from the weather-side spreader directly to the leeward-side one, making the compression tube obsolete. In case you're doubtful, I subsequently got a new mast, and that had no 'compression tube' at the spreaders. So I wonder where your tube is... how it is that you have both? If you have a thru-bar with the spreaders screwed to it, the tube is unnecessary.
IMG_20221130_131239_2.jpg

Whatever you've got, I think you should try to run the halyards and topping lift so that they run as fairly as possible, without binding or dragging across anything that runs through (across) the mast. I don't recall, but it seems possible that the best way to run the topping lift would be forward of the thru-bar. Keep in mind that you have pre-bend in the mast- that mostly should affect the halyards.

-V

Vince,
Thanks so much for the detailed response! As to how I have both the thru bar and compression tube, my guess is that the original owner retro fitted the old style spreader plates for the new thru bar. The boat is a 1989, and I am assuming that it has the original mast. When I look at the slot for the thru bar on the plates attached to the mast, I can clearly see that it was cut/filed by hand to accept the thru bar. So that would probably explain why there is a slot with a compression bar slightly below it inside. Going forward, my plan is to either remove the plates and remove the compression bar to eliminate that obstacle, or remove the plates altogether and replace with new plates from rig rite. I will be heading out to the boat this weekend, I will take some pictures and send them along, maybe you might see something that I am not. I did re run my halyards behind the compression bar and thru bar, and already they run much, much smoother, so I am guessing getting rid of that compression tube will be even better. My topping lift is forward of the bar and runs very smoothly! Thanks again for all your help, I see you offer alot of advice to the people on here and as a new J24 owner, it is much appreciated!

I'm glad to help. I hate to have all the time and effort I expended learning the 'ins and outs' of a J/24 go to waste now that I don't have one any longer.

If that compression tube is very close to, maybe even under, the thru-bar, I don't think it will cause you any trouble and you probably don't need to do anything. I'm sure you can find other things that might need improvement, even though you have a new boat (from my perspective) :).

My new (2005) mast didn't have any plates at the spreaders. I don't think they would have done anything. Yours, with retrofit thru-bar, may need them to make up for previous holes and the like.
IMG_20210625_134334a.jpg

Spend most of your time sailing, unless you like to work on a boat more than sailing.

Vince

Back