halyard cleat replacement

I have a 1974 Sunfish and the halyard cleat and the sail pulley have come off. I would like to replace them,but I am not sure what I have to do. A fiberglass guy told me to simply fill the holes with fiberglass and move the cleat site over, and re-attach cleat in a different spot. My concern is that it will just pull out again. Does anyone know if the hull of the 74 is full of foam or hollow? Can I get into the hull to attach a block or plate to screw into? I am a novice ,obviously, at boat repair. I have helpers.

elizabeth, welcome to the forum!

I think you could easily put an inspection port in, just behind the coaming/splashguard, and still be able to reach forward and have access to install a new halyard cleat.

that being said, I just checked my mid-1960's Sunfish, and there is a backing block under there - if you can probe the old holes and make sure that backing block is still there, you might be able to fill the old holes with epoxy, and drill new holes there, or slightly offset to re-install the cleat.

the hull has foam blocks, but it is definitely not full of foam.

cheers,
tag

The hull is hollow and if you look in the "FAQ" section you will find the picture of the placement of the foam blocks. Deck fittings are backed with wooden blocks to hold the screws on a 1974 hull. If your backing blocks are rotten they will need to be replaced but if the holes are just stripped then you can try to move the block over to get into some new wood or put Epoxy in the holes and refasten. The wood block is held in place to the underside of the deck by a U shaped piece of fiberglass so if you can use an awl to inch it over a half an inch then you will have solid wood for you fastener. . If this method does not work then you need to put in an inspection port to mount the new backings. I like using polyethylene cutting boards for backing plates but the new sunfish's use aluminum plates.
I would also recommend putting a cleat on the mast for holding the halyard as it takes the strain off of the deck see how to do this in the sunfish FAQ.

><> Minas man <><

The hull is hollow and if you look in the "FAQ" section you will find the picture of the placement of the foam blocks. Deck fittings are backed with wooden blocks to hold the screws on a 1974 hull. If your backing blocks are rotten they will need to be replaced but if the holes are just stripped then you can try to move the block over to get into some new wood or put Epoxy in the holes and refasten. The wood block is held in place to the underside of the deck by a U shaped piece of fiberglass so if you can use an awl to inch it over a half an inch then you will have solid wood for you fastener. . If this method does not work then you need to put in an inspection port to mount the new backings. I like using polyethylene cutting boards for backing plates but the new sunfish's use aluminum plates.
I would also recommend putting a cleat on the mast for holding the halyard as it takes the strain off of the deck see how to do this in the sunfish FAQ.

><> Minas man <><

Thanks Minas man! Your explanation and advice is awesome not to mention very helpful.

Back