Halyard Block (and Boom) Question

Porpoise2

My boat arrived with the boom to port of the mast. The prevailing breeze being what it is, it would be easier to raise the halyard if I move the boom to starboard. Thoughts?

What direction should the halyard block be facing?

P2

That is the standard location, booms/spars/sail on the port side of the mast, halyard up, over and through the mast top fair lead and down the starboard side of the mast, through the front of the fairlead block at the base of the mast and back to the cleat. The current halyard fairlead is mounted with the hole facing fore and aft next to the mast base. Older SF had a swivel block (pulley) in the same location. Raise the spars/sail completely (knot tight to the top of the mast), secure at cleat and stow extra line.

Thanks.

Mine has the swivel block (W-C) at the masthead. (Which I guess I overtensioned with the halyard when it parted company this week). Looks like my block should face aft{/I]-ish then.

I like that new masthead fairlead mod.

Hmmm. Hmmm.

Is the Porpoise mast able to turn 360 in it's deck socket like the Sunfish? Makes pulley direction a no-brainer.

I don't see why not switch sides with the gooseneck. I see photos of other Sunfish lookalikes that do this. The only thing I see to the contrary is a note in both the MLHB and HGTTG. They both say that immediately after you spend all day making the switch the wind will shift to the opposite direction. Try it and let everyone know how it works.

Back