H14 for $1000 vs C14.2 for $2900

Newbie Sailor

Hu guys, I am looking for my first boat and came across a early 80s Holder 14 (same as the Vagabond 14) for $1000, and also a used Capri 14.2 for $2900.
I am excited about the Holder, because of the price, but I suspect that parts/sails can be hard to find, am I right?
So, assuming both are in good shape, both come with trailers, etc, in my shoes, which one would you buy?

Thanks much!

Thanks Bill. Do you think than it is worth going for the Holder to learn on?
You know, I can't really say about the Holder. I don't have any experience with it, but I'm sure it is a good boat. I know the Catalina folks really build great boats and they seem to be very much in demand these days. My concern with either type of boat, is when you are buying a used boat, so many things must be considered. If both boats are in good shape and well cared for, then go for the Holder. I spent a lot of time looking for my used 1998 Capri, and I looked at Holders, Lido's, Capri's and Omega's. All very good boats I'm sure. But in the end, I liked the Capri 14.2 the best..................bill

Hu guys, I am looking for my first boat and came across a early 80s Holder 14 (same as the Vagabond 14) for $1000, and also a used Capri 14.2 for $2900.
I am excited about the Holder, because of the price, but I suspect that parts/sails can be hard to find, am I right?
So, assuming both are in good shape, both come with trailers, etc, in my shoes, which one would you buy?

Thanks much!
My 14.2 is hull number 1788 and is a 1987 type 1. I bought mine on Ebay 4 years ago for $1225.00 and have put around $800.00 in to get it to almost new condition. The boat you are looking at for $2800.00 is way overpriced. You should be able to get a nice Type 1 for much less than $1500.00, maybe under $1000.00. I love my 14.2 and sail and rig it solo most of the time. If you have dry storage boat yards near you, take a walk through them, look for 14.2 with flat tires and old stickers on them, many people buy and sail their boats one or two seasons and then loose interest and the boat just sit, while they keep paying storage fees on it. Also look on Ebay and Craigslist.

I liked my hobie holder 14, manuvered quicker and flipped faster, its a lot lighter, I sold it for 1750 but it was in excellent shape. the quality is better on the 14.2, If your sailing by your self the holder is good. if your sailing with someone you'll like the 14.2, I turtled my holder several times everytime out. I have never tipped my 14.2 over. but its a fixed keel

I just sold my Holder 12 three weeks back for$1150. It was in like new condition with two sails, trailer and all original parts that looked like new. This boat is hard to sail really good. It will plain at 15 knots wind speed with 200 pounds of skipper on board. It rigs quick and easy with few controls to worry about. My problem is changing sides during a tack or jibe. Neeling on a jib sheet will get you THROWN into the water. THEN try to get back aboard after righting, which is easy. Two people can climb aboard easily, but one person should practice plenty before heading out. Swimming should be a big part of your choice if considering a Holder 12. Charley

Back