GXD downhaul

hi all, its been a long time since ive posted here, although i have read with interest.

i've lost the Gxd downhaul, all of it, its gone completely

now i cant seem to find anywhere (uk) where i can purcahase the downhaul/cunningham without the outhaul.

can anyone tell me what blocks i require and what line?

any help would be much appriciated

many thanks
Jon

For the xd-Cunningham "1:10":

1st cascade (the rope that runs through the grommet of the mainsail at the mast): "Spectra Samson Spectron 12 diameter 1/8" (3 millimeters), length: ~ 1 meter. One end of that line is fixed to a (lower) HK 407 Block (fixed with a twisted small shackle) at the vang and the opposite end is knotted to a (upper, free moving) HK 407 block.

2nd cascade: Any sort of good quality "Dyneema"-rope of diameter 4 millimeters, length: min ~ 4 meters (or better more). That line runs though the upper HK 407 and the lower HK 407 (that HK 407 is fixed to the vang).

If one want to have a Cunningham "1:8" you take (instead of the HK 407's) a HK 406 for the upper block and a HK 405 for the lower block (fixed to the xd-vang).

If one want to have a Cunningham "1:6" you take a HK 405 for the upper block and a HK 404 for the block (fixed to the xd-vang).

Hope that helps
LooserLu

Heya, roostersailing.com sell a downhaul kit for the laser XD its a 6:1 purchase that costs about £26 using harken blocks and a vectran primary line and a rooster 2nd line. Quite a few of the boats around here have that kit and seem to like it
hope that helps

For the xd-Cunningham "1:10":

1st cascade (the rope that runs through the grommet of the mainsail at the mast): "Spectra Samson Spectron 12 diameter 1/8" (3 millimeters), length: ~ 1 meter. One end of that line is fixed to a (lower) HK 407 Block (fixed with a twisted small shackle) at the vang and the opposite end is knotted to a (upper, free moving) HK 407 block.
Hi LooserLu
Are you sure that u use HK 407 for both of them? Because if you use 2 407s there will be two tieing points and no line tu pull I tink.Are there anything that I miss or should we use 406 for thelower one which is tied to the vang.

Im planning to upgrade my cunningham to that too so im looking foradvices :D

ENES

10-1 was the orginal configuration and for that you did require to blocks with beckets (the primary line ties to the becket on the lower block)

However most have found that 10-1 was too much purchase and did not give any "feel" to the load on the luff and did not ease very well in light air - hence the 6-1 purchase that is much more common now for all around use or a 4-1 for light air days.

Hi LooserLu
Are you sure that u use HK 407 for both of them? Because if you use 2 407s there will be two tieing points and no line tu pull I tink.Are there anything that I miss or should we use 406 for thelower one which is tied to the vang.

Im planning to upgrade my cunningham to that too so im looking foradvices :D

ENES

Hi Enes,
you may have a look to the sketch of the Cunningham at this .pdf file:
http://www.laserklasse.de/dlas_mainpages/pdf_dateien/technik/vanguard.pdf

But I agree to '49208', also. "1:6" or "1:4" is the way to go. However, some still use the 1:10 or 1:8 Cunningham so, I mentioned them.

Ciao
LooserLu

BTW:
Enes, you "sit at the source" ->Ask "SG", if you see him at the club, perhaps in spring. Some of TLF (including me) sure are envious about that "source" to ask for. He definitely is able to explain you a special "Cunningham Control System 1:6", you never have seen before.... Its under his own copyright, so I do not even try to eplain. But, I am so not sure, if his 1:6 Cunningham (and Outhaul) still is legal under the current classrules. ;) You may let us know here, if he says: "yes they'r still class legal", thanks.

thanks for everyones help, new bits are coming in the post, hoping to get them before sailing on sunday :D

Heya, roostersailing.com sell a downhaul kit for the laser XD its a 6:1 purchase that costs about £26 using harken blocks and a vectran primary line and a rooster 2nd line. Quite a few of the boats around here have that kit and seem to like it
hope that helps

I use the Rooster setup, I peiced together the parts myself w/ maffoli swiftcord.
and really quite satisfied.

Mike

Back