Gust Adjust

altair

I read in the new Windward leg that the "Gust Adjust" is a legal way to tie in the Jens Rig. Apparantly this rig can be adjusted easily while on the water. Does anyone have instructions or pictures on how to set up this system?

I had been informed that there would be pictures and an article in the issue to go along with the announcement, but some how that did not occur.

I will try to get something together in the next 10 days or so. Stay tuned.

I'd love to see some kind of diagram of the "true" Gust Adjust. I experimented with my interpretation of the system at a fall regatta but ended up shaking it out after a few technical difficulties.

Looking forward to whatever you can get Gail. Thanks.

Thanks SailandSurf. I've seen that post and that's the system I tried at the Fall regatta. My problem there was that when the sail rotates from tack to tack, the mast does not rotate with it. (because the halyard can't grip the mast tight enough)

The spar flex adjustment is so fine (as the spare is only flexing about 1 inch in that spot where the halyard is attached) that the mast rotating, can tension or loosen the system enough to make a pretty big difference in setting.

I'm hoping that the "real" Gust Adjust may have some kind of solution...

I used this setup last summer but it did not seem to work very well. From what I have heard, the Gust Adjust is different and a better setup. Gail indicated that she is going to try and get something out this weekend.

I think some photo's where taken during the NA's in Erie. He set the boat and rigged it for everyone to comment on. Brian McGinnis would know.

Hi there sports fans,

Sorry for the delay ... I simply have too many irons in the fire. I have posted the photos I took to the Yahoo!Groups Sunfish_Sailor page in the Photos section. The file is called "Gust_Adjust"

You need 2 lines for it to be legal. Basically one halyard you rig normally and use that tail for your boom vang, etc. The second line, your "Jens line," is used for the Gust Adjust version which you "permanently" rig the Jens. Once it's all set, you can quickly and easily switch which halyard you are using (traditional or Gust/Jens) depending on what wind conditions you expect. You can set the Jens line at varying heights depending on how much of the gaff you want to bend off ... hence mini- or maxi-Jens.

Another author wrote an extensive description on specs so I'm not even going to attempt it! I'll be happy to do a demo at any event I attend. I showed it last fall at Clark Lake and people were intrigued. It's a great safe way to be prepared and make the change without having to drop the sail, pull out the mast or anything else. Leave shore ready for an active weather day.

Thanks for the photos Gail but are there any instructions to go along with the photos? It would be great if someone would post step by step instructions to match up with the photos.

Has anyone else looked at the photos gail posted? I have studied each photo but still have no clue on how to set up the system. It appears that the jens(adjust) line is a small diameter line threaded through the end cap along with the regular halyard. The problem I have is trying to figure out how the line is tied around the mast. Does anyone here use this rig and if so could you post some instructions.

There are two lines to this rig. The first is the halyard. It is rigged exactly as it would be if you were sailing normally (with no Jens rig). That does not change regardless of whether you tie the Gust Adjust or not. The second line is the Jens line. One end of this line is tied to the upper spar. The other end is tied to form a loop through the mast end cap. You simply pull the jens line from the upper spar through the loop around the mast to tie the jens.

The trick of the rig is that the halyard is run through the mast cap at the same time as the loop. When the halyard is tight, you are sailing like you normally would (no jens). When you uncleat the halyard, the rig drops into the jens rig.

BTW... it is not easy to describe how to tie this rig in words. However, once you see it done, it is really easy to repeat.

If you happen to be at the Midwinters in FL, I will be happy to show you how to do it.

For those who attended the midwinters, did anyone have a chance to look at the "Gust Adjust"setup? ChuckTownColie was going to make a video of the setup but he was unable to attend. There have been some pictures posted here but it is difficult to see the step by step setup. Hopefully this might have been duscussed at the midwinters and someone could post some info or pics.

There were many conversations in the rigging area about the Gust Adjust, and several people were shown how to tie it or a variant. Similarly, there were several people at the regatta using it (or a variant) on the water, including David Mendelblatt (2nd place). Unfortunately, I never saw anyone take pictures.

I went back and looked at the Gust Adjust photos posted on Yahoo, under Sunfish_sailor. It appears that the line which is forming the loop about 12" from the mast cap is a third short piece of line which the jens line is pulled through. If that is true, is it legal? I thought the jens(Gust Adjust) line had to be one continuous line. Still hoping that someone will post instructions on the proper setup for the real (Gust Adjust).

You know, it's snowing today here. Still too cold to go out and rig one up and take more specific photos.

Two lines. The regular halyard, rigged normally, with a purchase if you like, to a cleat on the mast. The tail goes down through the deck eye, around the gooseneck, and cleats as boom vang. Can use remainer of tail as a JC strap if you like.

Jens line: One end of Jens line gets tied in a loop through the mast cap , with a 1/2 twist to create a lower feeding location along the mast (same distance down mast as Jens position on gaff). The other end of the Jens line goes up through the "back side" of the mast, through both parts of the Jens loop and gets tied to the gaff at the Jens location. Need to have non-stretch line for this. Cannot use this line for anything else but the Jens rig.

Basically, you're rigging both and simply snugging up whichever rig you want to use for the race.

Hopefully I'll get something together before the newsletter deadline. Please get it to warm up!

I am not sure why, but during the photo shoott of the images on yahoo the Jens line was cut which created the third line. So, if you rig the gust adjust exactly as it is in the pictures, it is illegal.

However, the concept and rigging does not change from how it is illustrated in those pictures.

I went back and looked at the Gust Adjust photos posted on Yahoo, under Sunfish_sailor. It appears that the line which is forming the loop about 12" from the mast cap is a third short piece of line which the jens line is pulled through. If that is true, is it legal? I thought the jens(Gust Adjust) line had to be one continuous line. Still hoping that someone will post instructions on the proper setup for the real (Gust Adjust).

Just curious to know if anyone out there has set up their boat for the season and rigged the "Gust Adjust"? I am still hoping that someone will post some good pics with instructions. Tried to set it up today based on the info in this thread but I am doing something wrong.

This video with Greg is great. However, the way he has tied the halyard through the mast cap is not legal and is likely to pull the cap off the mast. As discussed at the NAs last year, it needs to tied complete through the cap. There are several ways to do it, one example is attached.

Attachments

• DSCF0584.jpg
    DSCF0584.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 86
I looked more closely at this picture. While it correctly illustrates the legal and safe way of putting the halyard through the mast cap, it is also illegal because that line was cut to be separated from the jens line for discussion purposes during the NAs.

The attached two pictures are from the same day as the above picture, prior to cutting the line. They illustrate the jens line through the mast cap correctly and legally.

Attachments

• DSCF0588.jpg
    DSCF0588.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF0589.jpg
    DSCF0589.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 87
The video version is one continuous line, and the rules state you are allowed one line. The "gust adjust video" version was voted and approved at the 2008 Worlds Championship, it was proposed at the 2008 NAs.

From the class rules:
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]A rig to lower the point at which the upper spar lies against the mast (known as the „Jens Hookansen Rig‟) may be tied with an extra piece of line used solely for that purpose. The rig must be tied in such a way that the sailor may lower the sail quickly and easily by releasing the halyard. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Once again, there is no alteration to the "Gust Adust Video" line.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
A more detailed of how-to will be posted soon.

So essentially you're bending the spars to take draft out of the sail, like adjusting the backstay on a larger boat? Or do i have the wrong idea...

Update: Confirmed today, Todd Edwards the class measurer says that the gust video version is the class legal version.

The new full length "Gust Adjust" video with detail is now available at www.sunfishracing.org under videos. The format is mid to low-quality, so if you would like a DVD high quality version then please email me direct through this forum.

thanks, and happy viewing!

Shaun

Thanks for posting the video, now I understand the Gust Adjust. The only thing I could not understand was how far down the mast does the loop come? I would assume that it is the same distance from the normal halyard knot to the jens knot on the upper spar which would be about one sail clip. Does that sound correct?

It is determined by how big your jens halyard loop is tied. Greg ties it about 16 inches long. Then the upper spar-the jens halyard is tied at a predetermined spot lower from where the main halyard is tied that results in the lower forward boom end being about 2-3 fingers off the deck when the jens is fully hoisted. Greg gives the length of the loop in the video, but the sound is limited by the camera I used. I plan to find a better camera in the future.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the "Gust Adjust" versus the much simpler idea proposed a few weeks back on this forum using an extra long halyard tied off in two places and essentially acting as two halyards? Has anyone played further with that idea?

I haven't seen the other one used, so I cannot answer that well, but I am wondering if that variation is something you can easliy adjust while sailing on a beat. The "Gust Adjust" creates the ability to modify your rig while on the water, even sailing to windward.

I will look into the other variation.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the "Gust Adjust" versus the much simpler idea proposed a few weeks back on this forum using an extra long halyard tied off in two places and essentially acting as two halyards? Has anyone played further with that idea?

I am pretty sure that the two variants of the jens rig (gust adjust and the one that originated from Bill McInnis) are essentially identical in their capabilities. The ability to add or remove the jens upwind while sailing depends more on how the lines are secured to your boat (bull horn vs clam vs another style cleat) and whether there are purchases or other complexities on those lines to increase tension.

The biggest difference I am aware of is that because the jens line is separate from the halyard in the gust adjust, a sailor on any given day can easily decide to not rig the boat with a gust adjust jens available. The double length halyard does not easily give you that option. You basically have to own a second normal length halyard and remove all lines from your spar.

Finally, the gust adjust jens variant has been seen by the class measurer and ruled compliant with the class rules. While the other version seems to be equally as compliant, no such official decision has been made. With Bill's help, I have sent some information and pictures to the appropriate parties to look at.

I agree, both have essentially the same parts and do the same thing. The difference is only in what line serves two jobs.

I see several advantages in the version originated by Bill McInnis. First, it is easier and quicker to tie, because practically the entire thing can be tied once and left alone when rigging and derigging. This makes it easier to replicate with exactly the same results each time. Also,the set up is much simplier and cleaner. Finally, cleating the "two" halyards off and making a vang seems like it would be easier done with two tag ends instead of having to cleat off in the middle of the line.

As mentioned there is the disadvantage of always having the rig tied and not being able to easily revert to one halyard. However, it would be no dissadvantage to have the rig tied in and not used when the wind is light. It is better to be sorry than safe and you may be glad to have it if wind picks up. That is the beauty of this rig.

It will be interesting to see who uses what in NA's this summer. I predict we will see both and alot of talk. I seem to favor Bill McInnis's, but wont be using it unless it gets aproval. We saw what can happen with an unapproved rig in Erie last year.

Back