What's new

Guide to renovation- Sailfish

elboat

Hello all. I’m new to the forum. I was gifted a wooden Super Sailfish (50’s ish) that appears to be in pretty good shape overall. Everything definitely needs sanding/refinishing. The wooden mast also needs replacing. It appears to have broken at some point and is several feet shorter than indicated in specs. My partner is a woodworker, thankfully, and hopes to find a 4x4 piece of Sitka spruce or Doug fir to make another. Any suggestions on a good general guide to restoring? I just want to be sure we don’t disassemble anything that we shouldn’t. This forum is obviously a great find and I’ll keep on scouring it for all the words of wisdom within. Thanks!

danpal

Signal Charlie on this site is the best person to provide suggestion on how to restore a Super Sailfish.

Here's his site where he goes into detail on a restore he did a while back.

Small Boat Restoration

signal charlie

Staff member
Post some pictures when you can. One thing to do is an air leak test to find any leaks in seams, trunk, mast step etc...

Here is the link to our Super Sailfish restoration, it is technically a Sailfish Deluxe 14, has a Dri-Deck coaming, fancier bow handle and chrome keel strip, toe rail and rub rail. Came out at the same time the new patented rudder releasing mechanism was introduced, 1953ish.

Alcort Super Sailfish TRACKER

zsa zsa dogs.jpg

ZSA ZSA rails.jpg

ZSA ZSA Alcort.jpg

We also wrote an article for Small Boats Magazine that you might be interested in: Super Sailfish - Small Boats Magazine

Last edited:

elboat

Yes, found the link recent. Love it!
will try to get some pics up in the next few days. Thanks for the suggestion. Makes total sense to start there. Thank you!

Last edited:

elboat

Here are a few pics at present. The mast measures 9’5” and I gather it should be 10 ft. Thoughts about repair vs. making a new one? Finding one seems less likely.

Attachments

signal charlie

Staff member
I'd make a new one. Or scarf 7 inches onto the bottom.

Great find, she's even got the rudder hinge pin.

signal charlie

Staff member
Looks like you have the nice Alcort tag up by the bow handle too.

Another option for your mast is to put an aluminum section on the bottom, Alcort started making hybrid masts in the late 1950s, the bottom 4 feet or so was the aluminum tube like the masts are today, and the top section was wood, tapered at the top, with a sheave for the halyard. Wood plug in the bottom.

1957 Sunfish Ad.jpg

Standard Sailfish Pittsboro mast base.jpg