Gudgeon

Brian S

Hello all! I am new to the forum. I am not a sailor, just a dad with a daughter with a passion for sailing…

I bought a used Sunfish the other day and my limited knowledge of sailing was shining bright! With my research the best way to explain:

I have an old style Gungeon, and a newer style rudder. I assumed that I was missing some sort of plate or adapter that would attach to the rudder. Bottom line, she can’t sail without an attached rudder.

craigslist seller said that their daughters instructor had some sort of work around. Anyone know what that would be?

I see that you can install the new style gungeon, but that seems like a winter project for me. I have no access port, so I don’t feel comfortable cutting a hole in a boat… I just want to get her on the water!

thank you!
brian

Attachments

• 3FCAF390-B7B2-4439-8256-D532C3E3D39E.png
    3FCAF390-B7B2-4439-8256-D532C3E3D39E.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 541C87EC-08DB-4975-BF58-DF32359E3C79.jpeg
    541C87EC-08DB-4975-BF58-DF32359E3C79.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
Hi Brian, and welcome!
You have only two options here:
1. Find and purchase an “old style” Sunfish rudder to fit your existing gudgeon. You can probably find rudder/tiller for $150 or so. But… it looks like you’re also missing the rudder pin (attached once to the chain you have there) and the bolt is bent- might be able to straighten it. Needs the plastic tube over the carriage bolt too.
2. Go for it! Cut a hole in the boat! You’ve already got the new style rudder, which many people pay $2-$300 for, and most consider it a major upgrade in sailing performance. It’s only scary the first time. You’ll need to buy a gudgeon plate and backer (fits inside the hull) and the stainless screws, plus a Beckson port, 5-6” with screws and locknuts. Watch a few YouTube videos, ask any questions here and you’ll ace it!

Hi Brian, and welcome!
You have only two options here:
1. Find and purchase an “old style” Sunfish rudder to fit your existing gudgeon. You can probably find rudder/tiller for $150 or so. But… it looks like you’re also missing the rudder pin (attached once to the chain you have there) and the bolt is bent- might be able to straighten it. Needs the plastic tube over the carriage bolt too.
2. Go for it! Cut a hole in the boat! You’ve already got the new style rudder, which many people pay $2-$300 for, and most consider it a major upgrade in sailing performance. It’s only scary the first time. You’ll need to buy a gudgeon plate and backer (fits inside the hull) and the stainless screws, plus a Beckson port, 5-6” with screws and locknuts. Watch a few YouTube videos, ask any questions here and you’ll ace it!

thanks. I figured that would be the solution… I’m handy enough, I just was hoping for a quicker solution. What kind of saw is best (electric jig?), and blade teeth for fiberglass?

Dont think it matters a whole lot on cutting. I would go with a fine wood blade or a courser metal blade.

Dont overthink it all. The boats are pretty simple. Remember you need to seal the holes for the new gudgen. Use all stainless. You should use 316 stainless hardware, but just stainless will do the job. Get the stainless self locking nuts.

A suggestion is to make sure you have the proper type and size lines for the boat. I bought the actual vanguard lines from Shoreline Sailboats for $28. They work bettern then wrong size and wrong type lines I see all the time at my club. Makes raising the sail and sailing a bit easier, but not critical.

Back