Greetings!

mage492

Hello everyone!

As of early yesterday afternoon, I'm now the proud owner of a '75 Sunfish. I found her at a garage sale for $50, though she's in very good condition for her age (some cosmetic wear, but the underlying fiberglass is sound). Naturally, it's supposed to rain for much of this week, so I'm impatiently waiting to get out on the water.

Although I have some sailing experience, this is my first sailboat. This forum looks like a friendly place to find answers and new ideas, so here I am!

mage492 said:
Hello everyone!

As of early yesterday afternoon, I'm now the proud owner of a '75 Sunfish. I found her at a garage sale for $50, though she's in very good condition for her age (some cosmetic wear, but the underlying fiberglass is sound). Naturally, it's supposed to rain for much of this week, so I'm impatiently waiting to get out on the water.

Although I have some sailing experience, this is my first sailboat. This forum looks like a friendly place to find answers and new ideas, so here I am!

Welcome to the forum!

Most boats for that amount of dough need a lot of work before you can let them swim. It looks like you may have found an old diamond in the rough. Congratulations.

Don't forget your PFD, just in case :)

Wavedancer said:
Most boats for that amount of dough need a lot of work before you can let them swim. It looks like you may have found an old diamond in the rough.

I've got a short list of things to do, certainly. Although the fiberglass and metal fittings are in good shape, the daggerboard and rudder could use refinishing. I also need a trailer, though I think I've already got something lined up. And the worn patches of gelcoat are going to bother me until I get them fixed. Definitely worth the price, though!

And thanks for the warm welcome.

Sounds like you scored. With some time and effort I'm sure your new sunfish will be fine. Sounds like some of the projects we've taken on. Over the last 3 years my brother and I have acquired 8 sailboats. 6 Sunfish and 2 Scorpions. Why do you need 8 sailboats, I'm not really sure? So b carefull it oculd happen to you. Anyways I spent the winter in New England making new centerboards and rudders for all of them. I do have some parts available so if you need anything let me know. I might have it.
Thanks Bernie Hyland

Back