Great Lakes Laser Racing

Huff

Hi, I am based in Detroit and want to race a Laser over here (used to in the UK). I am struggling to find a club with a good, regular fleet near by. Does anyone know of one? I have looked at a whole bunch of websites for clubs within 1hr from me and visited a few. They all say they have a fleet, then when I visit I don't see much evidence of racing Lasers.

I think this is who I exchanged emails with. I am the District 19 Secretary (www.D19Laser.org) and sent him the below email. I also just discovered that next weekend the D3 Championships is in the South end of Lake St Clair. The location of the club by water is about 5 miles SSE from my club (www.crescentsail.com) but it is in Canada. It would be faster to sail there than drive. Hopefully we find some kind of Laser sailing to suit his needs!

What lakes do you consider "close"? What kind of sailing are you looking for?

At Crescent Sail Yacht Club (Grosse Pointe) we also do not have organized weekly sailing for Lasers. Most of us own other boats that we race on our club race days (Sundays and Wednesdays). There are some of us that like to go out when the wind and waves are up to do long upwinds and downwinds. We may try and do some Friday night casual racing.

Lake Lansing has regular Laser racing - http://www.lansingsailing.org/cms/. Their annual regatta is August 18 and for some reason it is our largest event in Michigan.

Then there is Portage Yacht Club - www.ms-pyc.com - but I have heard their fleet is spotty.

This weekend you could travel to Chicago for the D20 Championships.

Hi, I am based in Detroit and want to race a Laser over here (used to in the UK). I am struggling to find a club with a good, regular fleet near by. Does anyone know of one? I have looked at a whole bunch of websites for clubs within 1hr from me and visited a few. They all say they have a fleet, then when I visit I don't see much evidence of racing Lasers.

I haven't raced Lasers in years, but I agree with Ken, Crescent is your best bet. Its the only place in Detroit that I see Laser racing. The good news is throughout the summer there is keel boat racing almost every day of the week, from NSSC on Anchor Bay to BYC on the Detroit River.

Back