Great info on downwind sailing

So i now have about 50+ hrs sailing a laser this year and I'm starting to feel better about my upwind speed. But I'm still awful downwind.
I picked up Dick Tillman's "The Complete Book of Laser Sailing" 2nd ed a few weeks ago and found two absolute gems in the interviews in the back of the book. The article by Luther Carpenter and the one right before it finally gave me some concrete techniques for catching a wave and when and why sailing by the lee is useful.

Loking forward to being very wet this fall as I try to master these ideas!

If you really want to get on top of downwind sailing, especially in a blow, you have to get the Rooster Downwind DVD. I really couldn't get the hang of sailing by the lee until I saw this.
Now all I have to do is learn how to gybe without catching my mainsheet on the transom EVERY BLOODY TIME!!!

going fast downwind is such a wicked feeling.

it's pretty amazing though, when you're all dialed in, feeling great, and then some super good sailor just blasts past you. You feel like your standing still.

Encourages you to catch EVERY wave, and hit EVERY puff though. Those guys and gals make you want to sail harder and go faster.

Downwind in the Laser in breeze....good times!

Back