Grease Tiller Pivot Point?

lasherdc

I have restored an old wood Laser tiller and am reassembling it. Quick question: is it recommended/advisable to grease the plastic guides the tiller pivots on? I was thinking about using silicone grease. Any thoughts?

The tiller shouldn't pivot on anything, but sit as tightly as possible in the rudder head. What do you mean with "plastic guides"? Are we using the same vocabulary? (Pictures please!)

The only place where I've used (or seen anybody else use) lubrication on a Laser rudder is the traveller chafe plate on the tiller.

_

The tiller shouldn't pivot on anything, but sit as tightly as possible in the rudder head. What do you mean with "plastic guides"? Are we using the same vocabulary? (Pictures please!)

The only place where I've used (or seen anybody else use) lubrication on a Laser rudder is the traveller chafe plate on the tiller.

_
I will take a photo when I get home this evening. A two-piece grey 'sleeve' went through the tiller...one on each side. The tiller slides in the metal mount and a SS bolt runs through one side of the metal, through the grey 'tunnel', and back out the other side of the metal. It looks like one of those plastic pieces you install on your house to cover a hole for coax cable.

As I was refinishing the wood, the plastic piece was the last part to come off the tiller. I had to use a small screwdriver on each side of the tiller to loosen the plastic piece.

Back