Grab rail repairs

Gavsur

I have managed to rip out the two rear grommets and screws from one of the grab rails on my Laser. The holes have enlarged to the point where the grommets will push straight through. I have tried gel coat filler and while on the face of it they look sound, the first real grab of rail and they pull out again. Any permenant fix suggestions welcomed.

Hi,

Might be a good idea to either fill in the hole with epoxy and re drill, install an new grommet and go from there or epoxy the existing grommet in- that being a bit more of a bodge...

However I am sure there are more knowledgeable people out there who will correct me in a minute with the right solution!

Pics would help to solve your problem

Piers HS

I drilled a 1/4" hole about 1/2 inch deep and inserted a wooden dowel coated in 3M 5200, then cut if off flush and redrilled the holes. My boat has a plywood backer, but I think others may have just the fiberglass.

im not sure but i dont think the grabrail gromets go into reinforcements therefore fill the holes and move the grabrail sidways or downwards slightley to avoid going into the origeonal holes.

You could also just stick the rail to the cockpit with 3M 5200.. It'll hold (and then some)

Back