Grab rail plugs

rugger_sailor

I am replacing a broken grab rail. Ordered new plugs with the new rail. The plugs are on back order. The plug for the middle hole ripped out and was lost. I'm OK re-using the old plugs, but I need something to secure the middle hole. Tried using those expanding plastic jackets... either too big for the #10 1 1/2 screw or too small to be held in the hole.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Got a regatta coming up next weekend. I am half tempted to super glue the rail to the side of the cockpit.

Thanks for the link. The hole is about 1/2 inch in diameter so I'm not sure how I can put a backing in there. I have Martine-Tex on hand and having worked with it before, I know I would need some sort of backing for the hole.

... er, I'm not sure what you mean by plug. Is it an insert that fits a larger hole and contains a threaded hole for the screw? If I knew more I might suggest something like we use to provide an anchor for a drywall patch.

-- Ed

Cut a piece of sponge bigger than the hole and deeper than the screw length, soak it in epoxy, and shove it part way in. After it cures you can grind it level with the cockpit side and drill it for the grab rail.

Cut a piece of sponge bigger than the hole and deeper than the screw length, soak it in epoxy, and shove it part way in. After it cures you can grind it level with the cockpit side and drill it for the grab rail.
Why didn't I think of that ! Great idea.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did double check to make sure all the holes line up the new grab rail. I was just ready to perform the sponge method when I realized I picked up the gray rather than the white epoxy. Boo! Try again tomorrow.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did double check to make sure all the holes line up the new grab rail. I was just ready to perform the sponge method when I realized I picked up the gray rather than the white epoxy. Boo! Try again tomorrow.

Sounds like you are using Marine Tex. I think that will be too thick to saturate the sponge with.

Does it matter what colour the epoxy is as it will be behind the rail once it is re-attached.....

You can use a piece of card to act as a backing plate with a bit of cotton so you can hold it against the inside of the hull. I have used this method before and it worked very well even on a small hole (you will need to roll the card to get it through).

Then simply a case of making the front good and redrilling for your fixing.

Got up early this morning to drive across town to the nearest WestMarine. They sell ribbons of fiberglass off a spool; measure out what you need. Got some 105/205 epoxy in pre-measured packets. Wet it, roll it, and stuff it.

Despite the instructions, there is no difference between gray and white Marine-Tex. It's just the pigment color.

Try again tonight.

Back