Gps

rayhas

The price of car GPS units has fallen but not the portable hand held units. Has anyone found an inexpensive GPS that works well in the car and boat?

My wife panics when she can't see the dock and worries about getting lost.

I like to take along my Garmin eTrex H when sailing. It doesn't have maps, other than the ones it creates from your path on the water, but you can set the dock as your home waypoint and it will lead you back there if you get turned around. It also has a compass and will record info like average speed, top speed, total distance, etc. These go for around a 100 bucks and are waterproof to a slight degree.

Another option is to use a smart phone which has GPS circuitry. For instance, I have an app for my iPhone called Navionics which provides navigation charts, trip planning and my favorite feature, tide data. It's sort of overkill for day sailing but an option if you have that kind of phone. Personally I like the eTrex better.

Jim

GPS for the road and sea

I have been using a Lowrance Ifinder H20 for about 3 yrs. You can get a MapCreate cd with all the maps of all the roads and in addition the map has the buoys indicated on all coastal areas. Free maps were available for all Lakes in USA. I purchased a Navionics chip for marine areas and it works pretty good. The Navionics chip gives you all the MARINE detail including depth, Marinas, etc.

You can find them on Ebay for about $100 bucks or so.

I recommend the Garmin Etrex Legend HCx, plus an add on topo map pack for your area.

It is reasonably water proof but doesn't float.

I have had two. The first one is on the bottom of my local lake - probably still working. :)

I have seen a wide range of handhelds used on boats and the new ones are pretty cool . I personally have an old Magellan 315 which is waterproof , ( haven't tried to see if it floats) . I have had this thing for 10 years and use it a lot . my battery life is around 8 hours.

My question is , What kind of battery life is everyone getting with their newer GPS units?

Rob

C14.2 #1174

Back