GPS-based knotmeter question

billveno83

Another question about setting up my J/24 ‘project’ boat. I like that this hull (#4249) currently has no thru-hulls for depth and speed instruments.

I am going to use a Raymarine ST60+ depth unit with an in-hull transducer (fingers crossed on that) for depth sounding. For speed measurements, my on-line research so far has me gravitating toward a Velocitek Speedpuck.

I would be very interested in personal experience that anyone would like to share regarding this device (including your thoughts on the price vs. value, reliability, etc.). I would much prefer to purchase a used Speedpuck, but there don’t seem to be any available (which may attest to their quality and lifespan - and value).
Any thoughts and suggestions on this subject are most welcome. Many thanks!

I have read elsewhere that the Speedpuck is undergoing a revision (or may have just undergone a revision)...

Hi Bill,

Yes use a speed puck on my J/24 and have good things to say about it. Wavedancer is also correct in that it is currently in redesign with no set ETA for the new one. I spoke to Velocitek a few months ago about some of their offerings (Speed puck and older version of Pro Start). I mount mine to starboard of companionway but with also the caveat that on port side I have a fixed mount manual compass to get me home if the fog rolls in and speed puck batteries die. From memory of the conversation with Velocitek, there were some racing centric improvements planned, but backlighting was not one of them if that was/is important to you. They make a great product and other than the backlit feature (or lack thereof) if that is important to you for night use. Good luck and enjoy the boat.

Thank you Thomas! Very helpful to know that Speedouck is so highly regarded.
Maybe used SpeedPucks will be available when re-design is issued.
Bill

Happy to help! I was lucky enough to buy mine second hand from a co worker years ago. You might try the gear section of Sailing Anarchy or perhaps ebay. The double AA batteries (three from memory) are easy to change and the damping rate seems very good on it. A brief fogging issue one time but I was in Miami when that happened (hot/humid) and it only was that way for a bit and no other issues in the years I have owned/used.

Hmm ... Sounds like a no-brainer.
The fact that there are no used SpeedPucks for sale suggests that they are a good and durable instrument.
Thank you!

Hmm ... Sounds like a no-brainer.
The fact that there are no used SpeedPucks for sale suggests that they are a good and durable instrument.
Thank you!

Bill just a heads up. Looks like the new version is now available. A few differences from its predecessor. One being an internal rechargeable battery as opposed to the three AA batteries on the old one. Love mine.

Thank you, Thomas. Yes, I saw the Velocitek announcement today. I’m hoping that some folks upgrade and put their older speed puck versions up for sale.

Back