Got the bug. First trip out yesterday.

uncutproducts

It’s been either way too windy or raining since I got my boat. Finally got out yesterday before wind started cranking. Spent 2 hours sailing back and forth across bay and using buoys as marks. Sore and tired now. Sloppy tacks but I’ll get better as I get used to passing extension and main. Can’t figure how to keep main tight enough with one hand while tacking, keeps dropping off boom and catching my head. No boom to dome though. Boat hikes well on good reach. Way more nimble than I expected. Feel like I’m ready to race next weekend :)

Really glad I put racheting block in, would have definitely capsized had I been cleated.

Super fun, really happy with this life choice.

Attachments

• 72D09A7F-D8D1-4D69-A8D7-1E5CAB02CB5F.jpeg
    72D09A7F-D8D1-4D69-A8D7-1E5CAB02CB5F.jpeg
    725.6 KB · Views: 68
Congrats on your first sail. To help with the mainsheet drooping, you can add mainsheet hangers. A few places online sell them, other people have come up with a way to 3D print them. I personally just used a couple of loose zip-ties and it worked just fine.

You need to put either loops of duct tape or Velcro around the boom and run the sheet thru them. That will keep the sheet from drooping and strangling you.

Also, your gooseneck is too far back. 17” from the front is a good all-purpose setting until you figure things out and start to fine tune.

As belar said on the rigging guide. Also, the section on gooseneck settings. You will need a foil boat for racing , less side slip and better tacking.

As belar said on the rigging guide. Also, the section on gooseneck settings. You will need a foil boat for racing , less side slip and better tacking.
I second this. Those old wood boards are not competitive with the current white foil-shaped boards introduced in the ‘90s.

Thank you! I have all the stuff to add outhaul and Cunningham. Will adjust everything else as well. Just wanted to get a feel for her. What’s the vibration when going fast? Felt like daggerboard in slot maybe.

On the hunt for frp boards. Don’t want to pay more than I did for the boat for blades.

I second this. Those old wood boards are not competitive with the current white foil-shaped boards introduced in the ‘90s.

The new boards don't vibrate, wood boards do. Good to see you getting the feel. You can tie the sail according to starboard passage until you get the hardware on. A looser upper outhaul give the sail some scallops for power.

The FRP board from Intensity Sail is a good value if you're not looking for class legal.

How much of a gap should there be between sail and spars? Used to tying on opti so assumed it should be tight like that. Thanks!

The new boards don't vibrate, wood boards do. Good to see you getting the feel. You can tie the sail according to starboard passage until you get the hardware on. A looser upper outhaul give the sail some scallops for power.

If you're not sailing in official class events, you're best bet is the "for sale" section of this forum for used parts or Intensity Sails for new parts.

Price difference between class legal and rec is crazy on sunfish direct. It’s same thing, guessing they have to pay licensing fee.
Sunfish Direct’s private label sails are very flat. Class legal sails are overpriced but high quality and good performance. Only good performing non-legal sails are Intensity sails.

Reactions: tag
How much of a gap should there be between sail and spars? Used to tying on opti so assumed it should be tight like that.

About the width of a pencil; only relevant when you desire to improve your racing results.

That's about 7 millimetres then :rolleyes: "Starboard Passage" says "1/16 inches (1.6 mm) or more". Is there a consensus about this, or even some (semi)official ruling? The class rules don't say anything about it, unlike in the Optimist, where there is a maximum of 10 mm.

_

I meant the blades. I have a north sails racing sail that’s pretty crispy. Would you say daggerboard or rudder is more important upgrade?

Sunfish Direct’s private label sails are very flat. Class legal sails are overpriced but high quality and good performance. Only good performing non-legal sails are Intensity sails.

As I’ve never raced yet, you bet I want to improve my results :)

Personal test to see if I can be competitive against people who have been sailing their entire lives if I focus on tactics and prep. Not trying to win but not trying to be last. Have good understanding of wind from surfing and boating my entire life. Just need to figure out the tools. I weigh about 150 and 5’7 so feel like I’m the right size for this. It’s really fun sailing a tiny boat. Especially when there’s not room for anyone else but your thoughts. Great therapy.

About the width of a pencil; only relevant when you desire to improve your racing results.

Back