Got a new boom? Check your boom strap

thieuster

A while back, I posted this:

Tomorrow, the first race of the European Championship U19 in Kalamaki (Athens) will start around noon. Measurement was yesterday and today. According to my son (who went through the measurement without any problem), the check was very, very strict this year. Standing next to him was a sailor who's boom was rejected because...

...the boom strap halfway down the boom (that guides the sheet from block to block) was too wide(!)

First, I didn't know that there was a rule for that. Second, why should you want to alter that strap? Third: when we buy a boom, we don't check the lenght/width of that boom strap!

Menno

Apparently, the max. width is 26mm

Sailcenter has issued a letter to the people who recently bought a new boom. Due to a mistake in the factory, a number of booms have a strap that's wider than 26mm. Check your boom strap to prevent rejection when your boom is measured.

Menno

Shouldn’t Sailcentre be sending out replacement booms with correct width straps. Shouldn’t be down to purchasers to correct this error

I don't think they're planning to send a completely new boom. It's easily rectified with a new strap and a rivet (monel!). Surely this is done FoC and can be rectified before the next regatta. SC is always on-site during regattas with material and tools.

In the past, they've always provided correct solutions to various problems.

Furthermore, it's not as if there's a truck-load of booms sold. They keep a record of their customers and the parts they've sold to that customer. The individual customer is easily traced. And after the debacle in Athens, I'm sure that SC will have checked all booms for the boats to be used during the ISAF tournament.

Back