Gooseneck

ncpirate

The gooseneck on the boom of my 1991 14.2 Capri has an eye in the top side where the Cunningham line is attached for running through the Cunningham grommet of the sail then back to the mast cleat. Is there any reason why I can not reverse the gooseneck so the Cunningham line comes out of the lower part of the gooseneck then down through the cleat allowing me to set a luff tension for most wind conditions? I do not intend on racing the boat and am attempting to keep my sailing as simple as possible. My one concer is whether or not the mainsail bolt rope will tend to pull out of the mast track with the goosneck reversed.

Thanks

If you don't lead the cunningham through the eye on the main , you won't be adjusting the sail as it was intended and you'll loose the 2:1 purchase the factory method involves. You'll just end up pulling the boom down . I have seen guys add boom pull down lines but a vang works for that if its adjusted correctly.

My boat came with the hole in the gooseneck down. I attach a line at the base of the mast where the vang attaches, run it thru the cunningham hole in the sail and down to the cleat on the starbord side of the mast. As an alternative, you can run the line thru the gooseneck to use it just as a "downhaul".
Jay Gross, 1438

Back