Gooseneck sliding

Carolina girl

I purchased a used boat, the gooseneck will not stay in the correct position - it slides down dropping the front of the spars onto the deck and rubbing the heck out of the deck - is the gooseneck too big or is there something I’m doing incorrectly?

The goosenecks bend over time. Tape on the boom helps. You can also file the space a little to open the gap so when you tighten it will. The gooseneck is important to be able to move it depending on the wind strength. Adding an adjustable gooseneck down the road is an easy modification.

I purchased a used boat, the gooseneck will not stay in the correct position - it slides down dropping the front of the spars onto the deck and rubbing the heck out of the deck - is the gooseneck too big or is there something I’m doing incorrectly?
I had the opposite problem. The gooseneck kept jamming when raising the sail. I rotated the gooseneck on the spar to an angle beyond 90 degrees (upwards, as viewed with the sail raised), and tightened it there. Problem solved. :cool:

As for rubbing the deck, there's an end-cap available with a plastic lobe that keeps the scratches to a minimum.

If the gooseneck is fully tightened and sliding on the spar, you've run out of adjustment. :confused: (The aluminum spar has been crushed beyond the gooseneck's adjustment). Remove the spar from the sail and flip the spar over to the other end. That fix should last another 50 years. ;)

The goosenecks bend over time. Tape on the boom helps. You can also file the space a little to open the gap so when you tighten it will. The gooseneck is important to be able to move it depending on the wind strength. Adding an adjustable gooseneck down the road is an easy modification.
Thanks, it's not sliding on the spar it slides down the mast and drops the spars onto the deck - I have wrapped tape on the mast to no avail - will try adding a bit more and then order a new gooseneck as it may be worn out like you mentioned . I appreciate your thoughts.

I had the opposite problem. The gooseneck kept jamming when raising the sail. I rotated the gooseneck on the spar to an angle beyond 90 degrees (upwards, as viewed with the sail raised), and tightened it there. Problem solved. :cool:

As for rubbing the deck, there's an end-cap available with a plastic lobe that keeps the scratches to a minimum.

If the gooseneck is fully tightened and sliding on the spar, you've run out of adjustment. :confused: (The aluminum spar has been crushed beyond the gooseneck's adjustment). Remove the spar from the sail and flip the spar over to the other end. That fix should last another 50 years. ;)

Thanks for the thought - I will rotate it upward a bit and give that a try. It doesn't slide on the spar it slides down the mast.

The gooseneck is supposed to move freely up and down on the mast. You likely need to check your knot connecting the halyard at the upper spar.

The gooseneck is supposed to move freely up and down on the mast. You likely need to check your knot connecting the halyard at the upper spar.
The knot is secure. I thought the gooseneck should hold in place on the mast not slide down at an angle and allow the tip of the spar to scratch the deck?

Sounds like your sail is not hoisted high enough. Move the halyard about a foot down the upper spar and try again.

Reactions: tag
Interesting. Maybe upload some photos of the sail rigged and it might help us figure out what is happening.

Tag is right...the gooseneck does NOT hold your spar in position on the mast. That is the job of the halyard. A 'vang" can be tied from the deck over the gooseneck and back down again, to prevent it from rising. If you lower spar is sliding down, it is NOT the fault of a gooseneck sliding down the mast.

Reactions: tag
Maybe there's nothing wrong, and everybody's got that plastic spar piece with the extension. I don't, and have scratches on some of my five Sunfish. :(

Sunfish Direct sells one with an eye. It's not exactly what I've seen, but mounted reversed, it would do the trick.

Sunfish Boom Cap w/Eye

Another approach would be to locate a nylon cap that snaps onto the eye bolt nut. They're made to fit an "acorn" nut, but will fit others.

Maybe more readily available at Lowes, a nylon acorn nut will also work. Check for correct size threads, as the link below describes a larger nut. One came with my first Sunfish, which was described to me by the seller as a "Practice Sunfish". :confused: Now sold, it was really a clone called a Porpoise II, but close enough. :rolleyes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-...T81C-ClnT3f_S8U63pxiVRcsbzJXDykRoCkuEQAvD_BwE

Maybe there's nothing wrong, and everybody's got that plastic spar piece with the extension. I don't, and have scratches on some of my five Sunfish. :(

Sunfish Direct sells one with an eye. It's not exactly what I've seen, but mounted reversed, it would do the trick.

Sunfish Boom Cap w/Eye

Another approach would be to locate a nylon cap that snaps onto the eye bolt nut. They're made to fit an "acorn" nut, but will fit others.

Maybe more readily available at Lowes, a nylon acorn nut will also work. Check for correct size threads, as the link below describes a larger nut. One came with my first Sunfish, which was described to me by the seller as a "Practice Sunfish". :confused: Now sold, it was really a clone called a Porpoise II, but close enough. :rolleyes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-...T81C-ClnT3f_S8U63pxiVRcsbzJXDykRoCkuEQAvD_BwE
Thanks, it may do the trick

Thanks, it may do the trick
Assuming the spar is dragging on the deck while you are sailing , something is wrong. Adding the cap will reduce scratching, but it wind solve the issue that the spar is dragging on the deck.

It it is dragging only when you are hoisting or lowering the sail, then the cap is a good idea.

Assuming the spar is dragging on the deck while you are sailing , something is wrong. Adding the cap will reduce scratching, but it wind solve the issue that the spar is dragging on the deck.

If it is dragging only when you are hoisting or lowering the sail, then the cap is a good idea.

I hadn't thought of this. :confused: Maybe the halyard hitch is sliding up on the upper spar? Try a different hitch.

One easy one is the "thrice-through bowline", which grabs firmly, yet can be readily adjusted without untying it. (No tape, no cable-ties or zip-ties needed).
Geezer vs. Racing Rigs
Start with a bowline of a generous size, position it, then pass the halyard through it three times.

Make a wish.

I think there's a simple but major communication problem here.

Carolina girl, could you tell when and in what situation does the gooseneck actually move down the mast? If you don't specify that, then we all think it happens during normal sailing. (In which case it's most likely a halyard problem.) Is that so, or is it only when you drop the sail? (In which case it's something normal which you perceive as a problem because of the scratches.)

_

Thank you all - it was indeed that the halyard needed to be moved down to about knot 8 instead of 9 as the manual states. sliding the knot down took care of the issue perfectly. Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions. I had a wonderful sail yesterday with no new scratches on the deck! This is a wonderful resource for Sunfish rookies! Thank you, thank you

Back