Gooseneck repair question

chris williams

I have 2 goosenecks where the nut has worn away the threads on the bolt. Using Loctite to hold the bolt in place does not work, as I found out at this year's North Americans when the nut came off during a race. While I could try to use a die set at re-thread the bolt, I am leery that that will work in the long run. The bolt appears to be part of the gooseneck casting, with the bolt being threaded after casting. The only repair I can think of is to saw the bolt off, drill hole where the bolt was, thread the hole with a tap, insert a length of threaded stainless, and re-assemble with a new stainless nut. Thoughts? I am not envisioning that this will be easy - I will have to get the gooseneck firmly mounted exactly vertical in my drill press for one thing, and I will have to cut thru a decent-sized piece of threaded stainless to install the new bolt.
IMG_9498.jpg

As a person who repairs most everything, sometimes it is best to move on to a better part.

That joint takes a beating. Ya, you could cut the stud off and drill and thread to put a new stud in place. You could also get the brazing rod used for AC tubing and build up the surface and machine it back down. But this is a critical part and you would need to do a ton of work to properly save this one and so I would buy new.

If that is your lucky gooseneck, put the nut back on, drill a hole through nut and bolt, then cotter pin nut to bolt.

Or you could skip the nut and just use a washer and cotter pin.

All assuming any repair/change you do would pass muster with the Class Measurer.

Thoughts? I am not envisioning that this will be easy - I will have to get the gooseneck firmly mounted exactly vertical in my drill press for one thing, and I will have to cut thru a decent-sized piece of threaded stainless to install the new bolt.
You can get away with a thinner (and tougher) stainless steel bolt.

Back