Gooseneck Quick Release - corrosion protection for boom?

oldpaint

I just replaced my 47 year old saltwater only Sunfish boom with an old upper spar (from a Sailfish) that was in much better shape on the corrosion front. I have a quick release on the gooseneck and was wondering if anyone has any good ideas on corrosion protection. If the gooseneck was fixed I'd go the electrical tape route, but with it being moved about that really won't work. Any ideas besides giving up on aluminum and going for a wooden boom?

I'd think a fresh water rinse and another spar again in 47 years might be easiest. I would fear tape or the like would just seal in pesky saltwater the creeps thru

Saltwater corrosion is just something we have to live with, but CRC may make a spray-able product to reduce the effect of corrosion. Results for 'corrosion inhibitor penetrant'

I have some Boesheild T9 which is probably similiar to the CRC but that might prevent any other ideas from working so I'll put that on hold for now.

Several strips of electrical tape for each position, or a wide vinyl tape or gaff tape.

This sounds like a good place to start. I used a tape thats made to allow masts to rotate on my own mast and no water has made it through. Its thick so I'll check whether the gooseneck will accommodate it.

I'd think a fresh water rinse and another spar again in 47 years might be easiest. I would fear tape or the like would just seal in pesky saltwater the creeps thru

The original corrosion started in less than five years. About 15 years ago I patched it all up with epoxy, which was good at stopping further damage, but not doing anything structurally for the boom. When I installed the quick release a few years back I did not really trust the boom to hold up so I was very conservative with its use. Now I can really experiment with the settings.

Time to check out gaff tape!

I decided on the Mast Anti Chafe tape from Intensity. Being on sale helped since more than one package is needed for 8" of gooseneck adjustment.

At each opportunity, I pour anti-corrosive liquid inside the spar.

It's a good use for WD-40, when older spray cans run out of propellant. (Drill a hole near the top of the spray can, and pour it in).

That 's a good idea. I still have to check on the corks in the new boom. The cork in my old boom was intact. If the corks are not intact I'll put the corrosion inhibetor inside then replace the corks. You can still get ones that would fit in the spar.

I put the tape on yesterday. Its very thick and has very sticky glue so it took a bit of perseverence to place it exactly how I wanted it. Even with the gooseneck loosened its a very tight fit, so I resorted to sandpaper to remove any overlap and to narrow the tape down a bit. I wouldn't recommend this for racing since the gooseneck is still not loose enough for real quick setting changes, but I this will be fine for setting just before getting underway, which is what I wanted.

Applied in a narrow strip where the gooseneck attaches, any good spar or topside paint would work. Two part epoxy over an etching primer would be best, although that is the most expensive route. One might also be able to mask the area and apply zinc chromate, available at aircraft specialty stores like Aircraft Spruce and Specialty.

You can also buy WD-40 in liquid form.
With about 1½ quarts remaining, I bought a gallon can of WD-40 at a yard sale years ago for $1. :) I should have asked what they'd been using it for, because I still have 1½ quarts in it! :confused:

At least it hasn't rusted through the bottom. :)

Back