Gooseneck quick adjust fail

po-man sailor

Hey guys. I thought I saw on these threads where a bike quick adjust will fit and save some $. Someone said it was same. Attached is a pic of the one I ordered for my change/upgrade on my 76 project and the threads are not the same. Looks close but I dont want to force it. The original screw hand turns very easily. Thoughts?...did I misunderstand outcome or solution?
Thanks.
Po-man out

When you install the quick adjust lock you need to remove the threads in the gooseneck. The bolt goes through the gooseneck and should move back and forth freely.

Dang...I was hoping I wouldnt have to screw up the original integrity of the gooseneck. I have an extra one that has the original screw frozen in it and I havnt attempted to remove it. If I cant remove it by soaking and heating I'll drill that one out and use it. Keep my original pristine one for later. I guess I didnt understand you had to drill out the threads and put a backing nut on it
Thanks

I've done it to both of my goosenecks and I'm very happy with the upgrade. It allows you to move the gooseneck easily depending on the wind conditions.

Sorry. Forgot to post pics. I like the idea but I cant bringmyself to drill them out. I'm assuming the expensive version sold by vendors uses the original threads right?

If the "factory" ones require doing away with the threads I'll do it to my back up that's stuck. Grind and drill here I come.

Goosenecks on current boats have no threads. Don’t know when they did away with threads but when they did, it also did away with frozen screws like you have.

Both mine appear to be brass or bronze. Were green and black. I buffed them and they are shiny brass color like my cleat and couple other items

Attachments

• 20210307_142508.jpg
    20210307_142508.jpg
    954.5 KB · Views: 39
Sorry. Forgot to post pics. I like the idea but I cant bring myself to drill them out. I'm assuming the expensive version sold by vendors uses the original threads right?
"Never used" bronze gooseneck available for $30 at eBay. :) (Not that expensive).

Once you've drilled a smaller hole than the threads, the tension holding the threads in place becomes relaxed. Try a spritz of WD-40 before moving-up another size of drill bit. The threads could be drilled-out intact, and the gooseneck (with a new bronze screw) can be used another day. But once you've started drilling, you might as well drill the hole totally "out" so the adjuster fits.

Some later day, you can still remove the adjuster, add a Nylock nut and return to the "old ways". ;)

The bolt breaks free pretty easy by using 2 hammers. Place one against the gooseneck and hit with the other one a few times.

This shocks the interface between the parts and it comes free. They were trying and trying to free up a the bolt on one at the club. I come over and wack on it some and it apart it came. They were amazed.

Back