Good Sailing Colleges

You want to pick a college based on sailing ?

You must have some other requirements, throw those out as well and then when can help with some suggestions...

I would like to take a major in Business managment, My GPA is around 3.40.
I would like the college to have a few lasers and go to some single handed events as well as double handed boats.

There is a single handed college championship, with some really competitive racing.

The double handed is done in FJs. No trap, no kite.

The courses are short, so emphasis is placed on boat handling and tactics, as well as knowing the rules.

On the Mid/South East Coast -
Georgetown U and Old Dominion U

New England
Tufts, Boston U, U of Rhode Island, Hobart

You may want to consider sailing for a college that doesn't necessarily have a name as a big sailing college. I currently sail for the University of Texas, and it is great because I get to sail all of the time. I know people that went to some of the hot sailing schools, and even though they are a lot better than me, they never get to sail. There are plenty of schools in the south (seisa district for college sailing) were you will get to sail every regatta, sail in a warm climate, still sail on a national level, and not pay as much for school. Besides UT, Tulane University in New Orleans and A&M Galveston have good programs in our district.

Just something to think about:)

Seth makes a good point; one has to be a very good sailor to get on the team of the better known 'sailing' schools.
In this context, broaden your horizon and look into schools that have sailing as a 'club' activity.

I went to uri during a time that they had a lot of top sailers. All Americans as well as a future Olympic medalist. I got to sail every weekend. I was not the best but I was able to hold my own.
I think some of the best racing is in new England. Excellent venues and excellent program.

Rwu is nice because the boats are on campus. Uri is a 10 minute drive. Tufts is a very tricky place to sail. Bc and bu are also in a tricky area. Brown is out of Bristol yacht club.

Rhode island is where you wanna be. Plus the huge and competitive Newport frostbiting fleet.

When winter comes were does RWU sail, in the cold bay?
I think i will end up going to USF or Eckerd... does anyone have any experience with these two colleges.. Sailed against them?

You may want to consider sailing for a college that doesn't necessarily have a name as a big sailing college. I currently sail for the University of Texas, and it is great because I get to sail all of the time. I know people that went to some of the hot sailing schools, and even though they are a lot better than me, they never get to sail. There are plenty of schools in the south (seisa district for college sailing) were you will get to sail every regatta, sail in a warm climate, still sail on a national level, and not pay as much for school. Besides UT, Tulane University in New Orleans and A&M Galveston have good programs in our district.

Just something to think about:)

Yeah - but the wind here sucks compared to the coast. It never blows the same direction for more than 5 seconds.

That might make better sailors, but there's nothing like being on the coast in a good steady breeze

Back