Getting T-boned on Port

Actually, I think Rule 2 might be more applicable. This rule is often used/contrued to prevent "intimidation, verbal or otherwise" from being used to improve a finish score and/or win a race or series. This is more obvious when an experienced senior is "swearing" at a junior, presumably less experience racer, or a member of the/a fairer sex etc. The swearer can get tossed, even when he/she was on starboard.

We encourage the use of the "P" word (Protest), and onshore discussions of a complicated rule situation, as Rob B. describes above. "F" words are discouraged, but happen. Our Juniors, many of whom move on to a very high level of College sailing(5 are on ranked teams), A-Cupping(presently 1, if there is ever another race), Pan Am Games (we have 3 Golds), etc. are nudged to learn that an "F" word can get you tossed at that level, and that protests are both sartisfying, and tactical, and very much a part of the game. And a stream of swearing clouds the brain.

And yes, the Laser class is famous for setting the standards on both Rule 2 and 69, unfortunately. Google Brodie Cobb if you don't know the story.

Learn to patch gel coat. It's very easy, and knowing how will make it easier to get your head back in the game quicker.

"Dude" Al Russell

I am giving myself a DSQ for that race. I have asked the fleet captain to approach this indivdual about withdrawing from the race. If he doesn't I will file a protest. This is feasible in our club because there is no time windows in the by laws in which to file a protest.

Been in your exact position and also the other guy's regarding the cross and collision. Its best not to push a close situation and its also a good idea to learn the rules.

If no time limit is stated in the sailing instructions, rule 61.3 defaults the time to 2 hours after the last boat finishes. Clearly that has elapsed and you can no longer file a protest within the rules.

I think you also need to re-read rule 14. The right of way boat must avoid a collision if REASONABLY able to do so. 14 b) states that he cannot be penalized unless there is damage. It does not say that he MUST be penalized if there is damage.

It is up to the protest committee to decide, based on evidence presented, if the right of way boat could or could not avoid the collision. Next time file the protest properly if you feel that someone fouled you.

From experience, the first reaction when someone appears in your window and its close, the impulse reaction is to jam the tiller down hard. You were definitely in the wrong in this case and its questionable in my mind if the right of way boat acted improperly or not based on what you say.

erm your fault end of, he went up so you had chance to tack below him, if you push hard dont call people idiots who hit you its part of it, if you chiken out n duck before people will abuse been on boat that that caused a t-bone instead of preventing it

Not avoiding collision can make you look bad in most situations...

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I stand corrected on that one then :). Always useful to know sometimes although in practice (as has already been stated) a rule 69 protest is difficult to prove and difficult to win and is generally used as a last resort. Most clubs I know of would deal with this situation by simply asking the member to leave (as is definited in their rules of membership) if they were bad enough to warrant this.

would you have not broken that rule as well? cos you broke the port gives way ( cant be arshed to look for number) to give your self an advantage even though you did not mean to

thats the way a protest comittie would see it and your would both get blame but over all it would be your own fault

jeffers you should keel boat sail, you would not get kicked out of the club for hiting some one if they'r in the wrong so them clubs kinda suck your talking about

I think Jeffers is talking about abusive language, not the collision. Bad language is never called for in racing.

I think Jeffers is talking about abusive language, not the collision. Bad language is never called for in racing.

That is exactly what i was talking about. Sailing a dinghy on close quarters is nervy enough (esp when it gets windy). A Laser is pretty simple, a Fireball is a mare esp with the kite.

Personally watch some keelboat racing scares the whatsit out of the. They do things I would not even consider doing in a Laser let alone a bigger boat!

Back