Getting onboard from water

U

Unregistered

My husband and I just took our maiden voyage on our new C14.2. We are seasoned sailors but in our mid fifties. I am concerned that if we capsize, I won't be able to get back in the boat. I don't have the upper body strength to climb aboard without some kind of a ladder or line to pull on. Any suggesions as to a technique or location on the boat for easiest access?

The previous owner of my boat installed two Chocks/Cleats (? - used for mooring and anchor lines) on the transom of my boat. I've made a piece of rope with a loop on one end that is tied to one of these chocks so that I can put my foot into the loop and use my leg(s) to push myself into the boat. I have not had the need to use it yet but I got the recommendation here or in another sailing forum.

Cheers,
Royal
Lake Lanier - Atlanta, GA

Climb-in aid

I did the same thing, but instead of adding cleats I merely tied it to the hiking strap fitting inside the transom. To get in, you reach over the transom, grab the line, and put one foot in the loop. You might want to experiment with it to get the optimal length.

Originally posted by Unregistered
My husband and I just took our maiden voyage on our new C14.2. We are seasoned sailors but in our mid fifties. I am concerned that if we capsize, I won't be able to get back in the boat. I don't have the upper body strength to climb aboard without some kind of a ladder or line to pull on. Any suggesions as to a technique or location on the boat for easiest access?
I was thinking about the same thing after we turtle last week. I help my son to get back on the boat. I was stuck in water for a long time. Wet cloth and life jacket did help either.

Later,

Back