Getting Back Into Sailing - Fitness Aspects

4.7sailor

I've been out of the sailing scene for a long time now. Had to quit due to an injury and then moved to a landlocked area. Now that I'm back on the coast, I'm looking to start sailing again. Here's the problem, I'm physically sound, except my flexibility has gone down the drain, for example when trying to touch my toes, I barely get halfway down my shins.

Any advice on how to gently nurse myself back to optimum strength and flexibility. I'll be sailing a radial and occasionally helming a 470, in case that information helps. Also, if anyone owns the SEA airprene 3/4 hikers with suspenders, how have been for you?

Thanks and I love the changes to the laserforum's interface. They're so refreshing. I can see myself as a frequent contributor to the forum from now on.

you need to stretch often, hold your stretches for a 10-12 count and breathe

do an "active" warmup before sailing and a light stretch before sailing

active warmup just means get your heart rate up to about 50-65% of your max hr for a few minutes (220 - your age=~max hr) probably around the point where you're just about to break a sweat,

after sailing you should do a light cool down and then get a good stretch, you'll want to stretch several times afterward, the stretch right after sailing is very important,

you should excersise frequently during the week, try to get at least 15 minutes a day in

biking seems to help alot of people, do some form of aerobic excersise, you also want to focus on agility and core muscles for stability,

some good weight training excercises are:

-Lunges, Squats, Pullups, Dumbell rows, Cable seated rows

There are lots of great excersises for sailing, think about the motions that you do in a laser and target the muscle groups that are used in the action (such as rows for sheeting in ect)

Yoga. Vinyasa/Power style. No fancy equipment needed, just your body, and a towel or yoga mat. :cool: Tones abdominals for hiking out, biceps for sheeting in, and overall strength and flexibility. Plus, it feels great and calms the mind. It's my only regular practice, and although I've only owned the Laser a short while, I've felt very comfortable in it and had a blast hiking out. I haven't raced in Lasers, though, so don't know if yoga alone would provide the stamina needed for that. Yoga for hikin\'out.JPG

I hate CrossFit, but this is a well recognized gold mine for flexibility/mobility work: http://www.youtube.com/user/sanfranciscocrossfit

Buy yourself a foam roller, or make yourself one from PVC pipe. Four inch should due, but three inch will hit the knots better. It just might hurt a little more. Roll everything: Upper/lower back, IT bands, quads, hamstrings, calves, hip flexors, pecs, anterior delts, quadratus lumborum, etc, etc.

Static stretches should be held for much longer than 10-12 seconds. You should be holding them for 30 seconds, maybe even more, depending on the stretch. "According to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, most stretches can be effective after only 30 seconds of stretching."

As for strength, I'd look at a program like Starting Strength. Don't worry about "muscle groups". Learn how to do the basic barbell movements and make your whole body strong. Strong is strong, how you apply that strength is up to you. Get strong in the gym and apply/adapt that to sailing in your boat.

"Toning" doesn't exist.

Some links:

http://startingstrength.com/
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

Aerobic fitness, of course, is also important, but my knowledge in that field in limited at best.

I downloaded Michael Blackburn's excellent ebook titled Sailing Fitness and Training for less than $10 (Amazon). You don't need to be a gorilla to sail a Laser, just fit, and all round fitness will get you through an intense regatta program. Lots of regattas have programs that include 3 races/day, so this can be tough if you get 15+kts on those days. Any all round fitness regime needs to be a regular part of your life and being fit means you will enjoy your sailing so much more.

Perhaps try reps and intervals on the water... Ten or more quick tacks or gybes in quick succession followed by a thirty second break, then repeat. Pushups on your deck, capsize swim round your boat and recover. Put your rudder up, lie in front of the mast, stomach down and paddle... Rolltacks are also a good workout.

You can get creative with it.

Just make sure you use good form!

I downloaded Michael Blackburn's excellent ebook titled Sailing Fitness and Training for less than $10 (Amazon). You don't need to be a gorilla to sail a Laser, just fit, and all round fitness will get you through an intense regatta program. Lots of regattas have programs that include 3 races/day, so this can be tough if you get 15+kts on those days. Any all round fitness regime needs to be a regular part of your life and being fit means you will enjoy your sailing so much more.

You don't need to be a gorilla, but being as strong as one would never hurt you...

I have a similar issue, but I'm more concerned with bruising after hiking. What kind of hiking pants would you recommend in addition to the above training?

Back