Georgia members? Alabama? Carolinas?

DragonFly

We seem to have found three of us that live in the North Atlanta, Georgia area and are considering getting together.

Are there any other members interested?

I thought that there was a Savanah contingent...is that still active?

I sail Lake Lanier, have put it in the Gulf of Mexico, and plan to sail Lake Hartwell in the fall (state of Georgia has awesome very clean cabins at Tugaloo state park, with docks, and some of the cabins accept pets all at very reasonable prices).

One of you mentioned Lake Altoona, and another lake I haven't heard of. And one of you metioned they live in Marietta...where do you sail?

I have spent time driving through Alabama, which really not all that far away, and have been made aware that there are numerous sailing lakes there as a result of the TVA.

Please respond with any interest on getting together or just crewing on each other's boat as I can't always get the wife and kid's to go, and I don't want to burn them out either.

Attachments

• beached.jpg
    beached.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 212
Georgia Members

Hi fellow Southeasterners,

My name is Chris. My wife Christina, our dog Clifford, and I live in Mableton GA, just adjacent to Smyrna/Vinings.

We usually schlep our boat up 575 to the northern part of Lake Allatoona to visit the Cherokee County boat ramp or the Sweetwater Campground. I think the campground is especially sweet because you can camp there alongside the lake and sail your boat right up to your site.

Sometimes we also head up north to the BEAUTIFUL Carters Lake. We have talked about launching at lake Lenoir but we hear there are a lot of boaters and we aren't sure where it would be safe and convenient to launch.

Here is a picture of captain cliffy, he is afraid of the water but not the boat itself, go figure.

If there is enough interest, I'd like to help organize a boating, camping, or cookout thingy in the fall. I'd really like to check out Lake Hartwell..

If you are interested, please introduce yourself to this thread and us know.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• cliffyOnBoat.JPG
    cliffyOnBoat.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 218
Lake Lanier

Well the boat ramp area can get dicey, but I bought a 2.5 hp Yamaha that gets us in and out; the hard part is the fact that there is very little dock room so my wife pulls the SUV into a spot and then comes back down to the dock and waits for me to pull in between all the motor boaters.

Once out on the lake we're fine; it is a much bigger lake than maps portray it as and once out in the middle its mostly just sailors...I always find that funny how motor boats stay so close to shore. Anywho the big ones still frequent the center of the lake as they cross it to get somewhere fast (where I don't know) are good at avoiding us sailors, but they seem to be unaware of thing called a wake...I think just because they didn't actually make contact with your hull that you're OK...thanks for the waves, buddy, I needed to get some practice at avoiding an accidental wave induced forced gybe!

And then after labor day, and during the week, its all sailors, the air dries up, and the breeze freshens up. Just half to avoid the wind shadows of all the islands. Lake Lanier isa nice Lake.

Hartwell is a wide and long lake river system, and if you're not paying attention you can get lost as every inlet and penisula, island, and forest starts to look the same.

We are going to rent a cabin on Lake Hartwell at Tugaloo state park on the weekend of September 22 thru 24. As I said above, the cabins are nice (real nice and real cheap as compared to a hotel) and they have docks right next to the cabins. I'm gonna need to get some fenders if I plan to leave the boat there all weekend.

Cliffy looks like our Buddy's grandpa.

Earl

Marietta Sailor in Training

Hi,
My name is Tim and I live in Marietta (actually right on the border of Roswell and Marietta). I sail on Lake Allatoona as the launch site is only 20 minutes from my house. My 10 year old son is usually my crew but I would love to crew on other boats or welcome anyone that wants to crew for me.

I think a get together would be fun. I've always wanted to go to Lake Hartwell too.

Thanks,
Tim

Nc

I just bought a 2000 14.2 a few days ago and I am dying to take it out. I am a beginner, have sailed a sunfish and a catamaran and decided on this nice compromise that looked fun, fast and easy enough to single-hand and big enough to fit my small (but growing) family.

Anyone want to get together on the Raleigh area or at the coast near Southport or BHI, let me know.

-Chris

hello fellow boaters,

i live near augusta ga. i sail on strom thurmond lake/clark hill lake. i am new to sailing. i would be interested in a get togather. just let me know.

Another ATL area Capri

I'm in the East Cobb area -- had the boat at a slip at Sunrise Cove (Lake Lanier) last year -- never even got a chance to get it into the water this year. I've heard that Lanier is 7-8 feet down and a couple of the ramps I checked out were not usable -- the concrete ramp ended, the water was still several feet away and I don't think my wife would have appreciated getting her CR-V stuck in the mud!

Maybe when the fall rains come, the lake will refill, unless the Core of Engineers makes another mistake and lets too much water out again.

Capri fenders

Dragonfly -

I have a set of the "low freeboard" fenders you're welcome to borrow. If I were ging to buy a set, I'd buy the flat ones that fold in the middle, but the round "low freeboard" ones work OK.

Back