Gelcoat safety

Mama H Chicago

Mother of sailboats
I’m guessing by the fact that I feel like I’ve had 17 martinis that a respirator is needed when applying gel coat? Yes, I’m going to call 911 as there is no way I can drive, but does anyone know if Total Boat Gel coat Is toxic??

Re: styrene and gelcoat:
Both polyester laminating resin and polyester gelcoat typically contain 30-50% styrene monomer by volume. Styrene is a volatile organic liquid, usually derived from ethylbenzene. When laminating resin or gelcoat is catalyzed to initiate polymerization (to go from viscous fluid to solid "cured" state), some of the styrene is incorporated in the resulting solid, but much of the styrene will evaporate as the resin or gelcoat is applied.

The OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit for styrene concentrations in the air is 100 ppm; the US National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) occupational exposure limit is 50 ppm for most processes involving styrene.

NOTE: Styrene inhalation is a real health hazard. At the very minimum, work in a completely open area with *excellent* ventilation. A safer procedure is to wear a good quality respirator with organic vapor filter.

From: "Reducing Use of Styrene Monomer in Unsaturated Polyester Resins" (https://tinyurl.com/yckwbpzk)
"While inexpensive, styrene monomer is classified as a suspected carcinogen, neurotoxin, and respiratory tract irritant by the IARC
(International Agency for Research on Cancer) [1]. Composites manufacturing employees who work with styrenated polyester resins are frequently exposed to vapors and possible physical contact with styrene, thereby exposing workers to the risks associated with styrene contact."

From "Styrene Exposures During Fiber Reinforced Plastic Boat Manufacturing" (https://tinyurl.com/mra7vccd)
"Exposure Hazards of Styrene
Humans exposed to styrene for short periods of time through inhalation may exhibit irritation of the eyes and mucous membranes, and gastrointestinal effects. Styrene inhalation over longer periods of time may cause central nervous system effects including headache, fatigue, weakness, and depression. Exposure may also damage peripheral nerves and cause changes to the kidneys and blood. Numerous studies have shown that styrene exposures were linked to central and peripheral neurologic, optic, and irritant effects when occupational exposures to styrene vapors in air were measured at
concentrations greater than 50 parts per million (ppm). There is also evidence concerning the influence of occupational styrene exposure on sensory nerve conduction indicating that: (1) 5% to 10% reductions can occur after exposure at 100 ppm or more; (2) reduced peripheral nerve conduction velocity and sensory amplitude can occur after styrene exposure at 50 to 100 ppm; (3) slowed reaction time appears to begin after exposures as low as 50 ppm; and, (4) statistically significant loss of color discrimination(dyschromatopsia) may occur."

Some people are acutely reactive to common boat resins. Includes epoxy as well as styrene, polyester, vinyl ester resin systems and paints. My brother can’t get near epoxy. An acquired issue after he built a kayak.

wearing a tight fitting mask with NEW carbon/chemical canisters may work for you. Wear heavy gloves such as the 9 mil available at Harbor Freight. Also a hood with fresh air supply will work well. Many of these chemicals are also absorbed through the skin. Isocyanate used as the accelerator in 2-part urethane paint for example, is both absorbed through all our membranes (lungs) and is very toxic.

I know of some boaters who hire out all resin work. We all should be as non contact as possible with this stuff.

In the industry the general opinion is that if you are working with epoxy doing open layups you will eventually become sensitized and allergic to the resin. Hence the move to closed fabrication systems like resin infusion. As noted above, polyesters/vinylesters can have their own health concerns....

Aaack! Better now. I barely remember posting this. Big learning experience.... I texted the neighbors when I realized I wasn't anywhere near close to taking care of myself, but as a paramedic, always hesitant to call 911...DOH!

I told them what I had used, grabbed the can of Total Boat without Wax and the catalyst, and made it to their outdoor furniture before I fell asleep/passed out. They woke me up when they got home approx 10 minutes later. I was still not right, but I had them go over to my house and grab my medic bag. I sucked on an oxygen tank for a bit, and within about 30 minutes I had a killer headache, but was feeling mostly back in my right mind.

Three days later I did a second coat of gelcoat while wearing a full face well-fitted respirator with Organic Vapor filters. When I took the mask off an smelled the air in the garage? I'm amazed that I didn't pass out/die in there. This was with the garage door open, fan on, etc. Very scary stuff!

So glad you are feeling better! It's a good learning lesson for all of us, as a group we blandly talk about using a lot of boatyard materials but not about safety data and hazards associated with those materials.

But enough about you, how's the boat? :)

Last edited:

Back