Gelcoat Color

highpressure

Hello Sailors,

Does anyone know what Brightside Color of off white the Capri 14.2 gelcoat most closely matchs?

Thanks,

Dave

I am interested to find out too. Is there any difference based in the model and year of production? Mine is 91.
What is a good place to get product of that nature.
This is a great forum wit a lot of great information,but I just got the boat, so all this is new to me, I am afraid it is going to be a lot of questions.
Thank you

In refference to my previous question about Interlux Brightside or a similar brand of polyurethane.
I want to repair some scrapes that go down to the fiberglass mat. Can I tint the resin with gelcoat or something or is polyurethane paint the best way to cover the yellowish tint of the resin.

Thanks again for any help.

Dave

P.S. I have worked with fiberglass before, but am weak at the cosmetic part of getting the repair to look good.

Hi All,

I am new to the Capri and haven't yet put mine into the water. I am replacing the gel coat because I had over 1000 scratches in the original. Looked like it was tied to a barbed wire dock. Both sides were covered in hundreds of scratches most down to the glass. So I do have a bit of experience trying to match the original color. I couldn't, and wound up rolling gel coat onto the whole thing, stripes and all. I have used the gel coat from both West Marine and Boat US and between the two, I like the West Marine stuff better as it dries harder and doesn't need a release agent to cure. It is just not as smooth as the stuff from boat US and that is why I have been sanding since January. I am half way done.

If you are trying to fill a small scratch, the gel coat may be enough but I found that filler compound is much better at getting the scratch filled. The filler will cure pretty dark so I covered it with new gel coat. On a small area, you can't tell the shade difference with new gel coat.

By the way if any of you are thinking of doing this, buy lots of sandpaper when it is on sale. A mini fridge in the garage may help and a good garage radio. But in a serious vein, don't waste too much time trying to replace the stripes with gel coat. I taped to the old stripe lines and tinted the gel coat and despite many coats and hours trying to get the tint to match the previous coat, I gave up, sanded it off and wound up using Rustoleum Marine paint I got at Lowes. So far excellent results but I am still sanding these stripes.

Any month now I expect to see the top side as I am surely sick of looking at her downside up.

Dear Rayhas,

Thank-you for your insight into repairing the scratches. If I remember correctly, West Marine and Boat U.S. carry about 10 different shades of White,i.e.: Bertram White, Grand Banks White...etc. Do you know which of hese is the closest match to the origional Capri ( Catalina ) gelcoat?

Thanks again,

David Evans

Dear Rayhas,

Thank-you for your insight into repairing the scratches. If I remember correctly, West Marine and Boat U.S. carry about 10 different shades of White,i.e.: Bertram White, Grand Banks White...etc. Do you know which of hese is the closest match to the original Capri ( Catalina ) gelcoat?

Actually in their gel coat, there are only filler compound and top coat and these both claim to be white. The filler is good but a little too dark and the top coat is too white. Between the two, the West Marine brand is closest to the Capri color. I didn't look at the paints for the entire boat because I didn't want something that could scrape off. I only used, and am still working on paint for the stripes. BTW I really prefer the non epoxy paints as they take longer to dry and thus provide a smoother finish. There is still sanding involved but not too much.

Back