Gel Coat

I don't know.... but I also want to give my Laser a new coat. I'm also interested in what type of excess weight it would create.

Regelcoating an entire bottom would be next to impossible w/o an actual mold of the boat. If you have a ton of scratches I would recommend filling w/marine tex and then painting over w/a marine paint of your choice then finishing off w/600 or 800 sand paper. If you have just dull paint/gelcoat sand it down and repaint it.

Well that is not necissarily true. Gelcoat can be applied by spray over your boat fairly easily (I just did a gelcoat job on a Laser I repaired that required spraying most of the boat.) It is fairly thick and needs to be thinned a whole lot but certaintly is doable. Yet when many people want to repaint or regelcoat their boat (in otherwords, want to make it look like new again) many will not use gelcoat. Instead, when I restore Lasers I do them with Awlgrip. Awlgrip is a two part polyerthane that goes on easily by spray AND roller and requires almost no maintenance. Gelcoat, on the other hand, besides being thick, needs to be wet sanded with varying grits and then compounded to reach its maximum shine. If you want to make your boat look like new again, Awlgrip is deffinately the way to go. It's expensive, but they sell it in nice kits and you can get it at your local West Marine or find a dealer and more information on their website. I know I sound like I work for Awlgrip or something, but I'm not, the stuff is just that good :)

I believe that putting a new coat of paint oin your boatis the equivalent of adding 2 kilos (not sure what that is in pounds). If you want a quote, just ask your local fibreglass repair shop... im assuming you have one... you might have to go a distance to find one if you dont live on a major coast.

Back