Gel coat on new catalina

J_Conte

I purchased a brand new 14.2 and when I went to pick it up discovered scoring in the hull from bow to stern on both port and starboard sides. There were also indentations like a flower mark on both sides. These are definitely not on the gelcoatst but in it. The dealer wants to tell me this is normal mold "marks" and I should accept it. I attached some images. What do you folks think ? It seems to me I have a defect that should be covered by the warranty.
IMG_0898.JPG
IMG_0914.JPG
IMG_0916.JPG

I would not accept that 14.2, or accept any attempts at "repair". Looks like problems with the mold when the gel coat and/or or glass was laid up; maybe with the mold release wax and some kind of crack or line in the mold. That boat should go back to the factory at the dealer's expense, be replaced with a new boat, and/or find another dealer. Experience says that you will not only have invested in a boat with serious blemishes at a minimum, but are probably be buying problems in the future which will appear well after the hull and finish warranty have expired. Damage may have been caused when the boat was removed from the mold or in assembly, etc. Unless you never plan to try to sell the boat and can live with what may be cosmetic, I would not take the chance, or at least get a significant discount on the price, as in thousands.

Back